Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

JRudd

Aim small miss small.
What's everyones thoughts about this caliber? Best round for it? ups and downs.. best application?

Not much of a rifle guy but looking to pick one up for yotes and deer in missouri...

I've used a .270 for many many years. It is a great caliber for long range shooting, as well as big game. I have taken 5 deer over 450 yards with it. I shoot a 130 grain barns X bullet of of it, and it is a flat shooting machine. You will not be disappointed in that caliber at all. It is large enough to hunt any North American big game as well, yet reasonable enough you can get out and punch paper with it.

That pretty much sums it up right there!! Exactly what I'm looking for:) thanks!

Keep em comin fellas! I want to have more than one review on the caliber:)

I've used a .270 for many many years. It is a great caliber for long range shooting, as well as big game. I have taken 5 deer over 450 yards with it. I shoot a 130 grain barns X bullet of of it, and it is a flat shooting machine. You will not be disappointed in that caliber at all. It is large enough to hunt any North American big game as well, yet reasonable enough you can get out and punch paper with it.

There really isn't a whole lot more that can be said for the .270 that Nanny didn't say. .30-06 is the parent round, so its developed from greatness! :way: Jack O'Connor used nothing but a .270 to take all his animals and that was way back before the newer, harder hitting bullets. Go from the original Barnes X to the Barnes TSX or TTSX and you can't beat that round (although it wouldn't be my first choice for moose or bear). You can load up 140 or 150 gr bullets for elk. I've got a couple of buddies who use .270s and they love them. If not for having a .30-06, I'd probably own a .270.

If, by chance the recoil of a .270 is too much for you (I actually know a couple of guys who don't like that recoil :rolleyes:), then you can also look at a .25-06. Another flat shooting round that hits hard down range.

I'll also add that I had some 115 grain rounds for my .270 at one time for predator hunting. Talk about speed, and they did do a little less damage on the yotes, but still too much if you are hunting for fur. Thats why I pretty much stick with the 130 grain, but if I go after bigger game, I switch up to a 150 grain for a little more punch. I've killed 2 bears with mine, and the 150 grain dumped them both in their tracks.

The only correction I would make to this statement would be the grizz. Everything I've read puts th 30 06 as the smallest caliber for that animal and even some think that's too small.
but if you take brown bears off the list then, yes, this will do it all.
with that being said, if the only 2 animals on your list for this rifle are the 2 mentioned, I'd look at the 243. If you may want to add hogs add pronghorn look to the 25-06. But for an amolst anything rifle the 270 will do it

The only correction I would make to this statement would be the grizz. Everything I've read puts th 30 06 as the smallest caliber for that animal and even some think that's too small.
but if you take brown bears off the list then, yes, this will do it all.

Should have clarified. By "bears" I was referring to Grizzly and brown bears. Black bears, no problem with a .270.

My wedding gift to my wife was a Remington 7400 in .270.

Yeah, I know, I'm such the romantic. :D

She is a pretty good shot with it, think the autoloader helps with recoil too. I went with the .270 because I was looking to go out west and figured if I went for elk, she could come along. Knowing that she would only take close shots, I didn't feel the .270 was too small for elk. We never got around to gun hunting out west, I'd prefer to do it with the bow now. We hunted whitetails in northern MN and WI, where she took a doe. Then kids came along.....

Should have clarified. By "bears" I was referring to Grizzly and brown bears. Black bears, no problem with a .270.

Really? Brownies with a .270? I've never heard of such a thing. Doesn't mean it isn't do-able. I've just never found anyone to who used a 270 on them.

Learn something new everyday. Just checked the Alaskan Game and Fish website and sure enough, .270 is listed as an acceptable caliber for Coastal Brown Bears.
Kudos to AZ to for knowin his stuff:way:

Really? Brownies with a .270? I've never heard of such a thing. Doesn't mean it isn't do-able. I've just never found anyone to who used a 270 on them.

See my original post, silly goose: "(although it wouldn't be my first choice for moose or bear)". That was the "bear" comment I was referring to. I'd almost rather use a fly-swatter than a .270 for browns!

Learn something new everyday. Just checked the Alaskan Game and Fish website and sure enough, .270 is listed as an acceptable caliber for Coastal Brown Bears.
Kudos to AZ to for knowin his stuff:way:

Being acceptable and making sense are two completely different things. I had no idea AK G&F had that, but I'll take kudos any day!

At one time (long, long ago) I remember reading that a great many brown bear/griz were killed with .22 rimfires, mostly because that's what trappers carried & when griz ran them up a tree they stuck the barrel in their mouth just before their foot went in. I can't verify the accuracy of the comment, but it proves the point that because something can & has been done, doesn't make it a great idea... :( If bigger bears are a target (or even a possibility) the 270 ain't on my list... My 30/378 Wby. wins out over my 300 Win mag for elk hunting if there is a chance in Hade's that a griz will show up!

Back to the original question, a 270 will do coyotes & deer with ease, but if those were my two target species, a 25/06 would get the nod from me. :way:

People do still hunt grizzlies and coastal brownies with bows every year! Not my first choice, but a 270 with the correct shot placement and bullet will still kill them. Shot placement with a smaller caliber is better than being overgunnned and making a bad shot! The 8 footer in my avatar was anchored on the spot with a 300 win mag through both front shoulders.....a 270 could have done the same thing at the distance I was at....30 yards. :D

I have the .270 WSM and love it. I have shot several deer in Nebraska and droped them in there tracks. This is also what my buddy use for elk and black bear out west with great results.

.270 is a very versatile round. It has many of the advantages of the .30-06 but a little less recoil. If you are OK with a long action cartridge, .270 is one of the best.

I would say one down side is a small selection of match bullets, tho if you reload it's not an issue. A lot of long range guys shoot .308 simply because of the variety of ammo available for them.

.270 is good up to elk. Past that, you need to look at the .30 cals and above.

Top Bottom