Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

$30k to lease 1000 acres?

Tomo

Just had a good friend (he just turned 83) tell me he got an offer from "some outfit in Chicago" to lease his 1000 acres of timber in NW Iowa for $30K/yr and he is considering it.

Does that sound correct? $30 an acre?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Wow, $30 an acre is very high, I know guys in IL that lease @ 1/3 of that and call it a fair price. For $30 an acre I would be leasing mine out and finding somewhere else to hunt for a few years :)

Kratz

lease

This is getting Ridiculous! if this is true the normal man won't even be able to hunt anywhere, no wonder people tresspass!

Last edited by a moderator:
Retarded if someone payed that much they would pry be bringing 50 hunters through your property just to justify their costs it would decimate the deer herd in one year easily!!! I wouldnt let any outfit near my land unless I had garbage ground with no deer on it then it would be free money I guess and could be used to buy more timber

I would do it in a heartbeat, but with some possible restrictions. I would want to know how many people they plan to have, who those people are. The money would be worth it, but not if the land was ruined in the process. That's a crazy amount of money to hunt though.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
it is n it isn't. friends on how u look at it. could be a corporate deal n write out off. there are slit of duck leases down south that go for 50-150k for a 60 day season. there's timber holes that go for 80k n that's jus for one hole!

I heard a few years ago that some hunting leases in Pike County, Illinois were going from $50-$100 per acre. So if they are or were leasing in West Central Illinois the $30/acre probably seemed like a bargin.

Economy has brought prices down BUT I guess it's possible. IL has always been stupid high. For this kind of money, I am tempted to lease out the land I own! Ok- that would never happen BUT geesh, some big dollars there!

Seems awfully high to me. Better get all of his money up front. I have heard of guys who promise big $$ for a lease, put up a modest deposit and promise balance after the season.......they bail and landowner never sees another penny....."if it seems to good to be true........"

Own rather than lease

With $30,000 a year you could make payments on a real nice farm in Iowa, wow, crazy, I'd take the ownership over leasing any day!

Top Bottom