Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A good ground blind?

gansomn

Just wanting to get some ideas on a ground blind. I have never hunted from one. I have done some looking and do not want to drop the money on a double bull blind just for the fact I may not like this style of hunting. A good blind for the money is what I am looking for. Thanks

If I were you I would take a look at craigslist nationwide and find a double pull. I found a flawless Matrix on there 2 years ago and paid $150 for it.

I have hunted out of several of the other blinds (Primos Ground Max, ASAT, Ameristep) and while they work they are a pain in the arse to shoot a bow out of their windows. The double bulls are heads and shouldes better in that aspect.

Try looking for a deal on a DB first, if that doesn't work I would suggest in a sporting goods store and see if they have any setup (Cabelas usually does). Get in with a bow and take a look at being able to draw and shoot out the windows.

Kratz

Break down and buy the double bull blind, you won't regret it. There is a reason a lot of other blinds are using the double bull design.

Check Out Baronett Blinds...Dunham's had a Grounder 350 set up and that sucker was nice...Great for a multi-person hunt. I don't reccomend anything under 100 bucks because you get what you pay for. Anything under that is really to small to bowhunt out of, at least for me at 29 inch draw my elbow hits the back unless I shoot diagonally.

Bow or gun hunting? Personally I like to use natural hides for bow. Deer seem to see blinds unless u leave them up for long periods or brush them in heavily.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using IW

Double bull or a natural blind... both will take an equal amount of time for deer to get used to. Natural ground blinds are easy to stick together to try hunting from ground levwl mm without dropping any coin.
I'm q tree stand guy number one but blinds do have their place, we just put an el cheapo up today In an area where there are no trees but could be an oct 1st hot spot.
Don't hold off hunting a spot just because there isn't a tree, adapt and fill a tag

I own 2 blinds, and to be honest, they're both double bulls. One older and the other a matrix, and both are sweet blinds. But I also understand hunting on a budget. My partner is famous for watching for buys on blinds and gets cheaper, less known models...often for under $100. He probably has 6 or 8 of these with less money invested than I do on my two. Some of these are complete junk, but others I've hunted out of actually aren't too bad. I think the best advice I can give is to repeat what was said earlier...go find a store (or person) who has one set up and take a look at the clearance of your bow and bow arm. Think about where the arrow will be, etc. "Double Bull; end of story" is fine if you can afford one, but if not, there are plenty of $150 or less blinds on the market that you could bow hunt out of just fine. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

Rhino. I bought one for this past turkey season. I broke I rod on my first set-up. Mostly my problem, anyway they had a new one to me in a couple days. By new I mean a whole tube filled with replacement rods, probably like 8 or so. Daryl Jolly has customer appreciation. That goes far in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Im getting the feeling that the double blind is a pretty good blind ;). I will try one out, and now a second question, how far in advance do you put one out and what steps need to be taken so the weather wont dick the blind up. They come with tie downs but anything else. Thanks

Put it out as early as your feel comfortable, in my opinion at least a month in advanced and brush it in as good as you can with natural forage. The blind comes with tie down cords and loops on the base and I would suggest buying substantial stakes to stake it down (Walmart sells a metal four stake pack that is pretty good). If you can, tie it to a tree or log to make sure it doesn't blow away. I use an expandable shower curtain rod to place in the middle if the blind and hold up the center hub to make sure the top doesn't fall in and collect water or snow (had a personal experience with that once or twice before I started using the shower curtain rod).

I use an expandable shower curtain rod to place in the middle if the blind and hold up the center hub to make sure the top doesn't fall in and collect water or snow.

This is excellent advice...regardless of blind type. I would also recommend the large plastic tent stakes in the corners. Our experience is that these are much less likely to pull out in a big wind than the small diameter metal stakes that come with the blind.

NWBuck

Good idea of the shower curtain rod. Will have to try that with mine. I also found the stakes that come with the blind to be useless. Some broken wheel rake teeth work pretty good as stakes too.

If you're going to leave it out (recommended), expect it to have some damage when you take it in. Have found one of my blinds with broken rods a couple times (once possibly due to wind or nosy neighbors, and once with multiple holes in addition to the broken rods with deer tracks around it--thinking bucky didn't like it too much!). Have found another blind with holes chewed at the bottom (raccoons or mice?).

Top Bottom