Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A hunt to remember

vrod

I set out saturday afternoon to just fill my any sex bow tag. I have a horse pasture that has had 25 deer in it every night for a week.The problem has been that they are coming out of the neighbors timber and into the pasture and grazing with the horses. With nothing to lose I decided to try something crazy. I stood at the field edge where the deer enter the field. I then had 15 horses standing around me for cover. It was a long shot,but what the heck. I did not however consider the fact that my camo ressembled green food. For a least an hour I was picked at by hungry horses. They wanted to eat me,my backpack,and my bow.Well at 4:30 a fat doe stepped out 20 yds from me in the field and began to graze. After I got drawn back in the middle of the horses, they continued to bite my clothes and bow. When my bow fired,they scattered. The doe never knew what happened. I consider this deer to be my best trophy so far. I almost thought about getting her mounted to remind me of hunt that I will nver forget.

And just for the record, I stepped out of the center of the horses before I shot.

Definitely a unique strategy, something I would have never thought of. Congrats on a cool harvest

KRatz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With nothing to lose I decided to try something crazy. </div></div>

Not crazy, just good hunt'n. Good stuff. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Now that is awesome! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Great job to NOT bite back either! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

HA, that's a fricken awesome story.

Jeremiah Johnson esque..."over the saddle you damn fool, Elk don't know how many legs a horse has."

Top Bottom