Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Look Back- 'Hole In Nose Doe'

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
This morning I happened to be going through a few old boxes that I had placed in the basement when I came across around 20 miscellaneous min-dv tapes. Most weren’t marked as to what was on them, so I’m still unsure as I’ve yet to upload them to my computer, however, one was marked ‘hole in nose vid,’ and it immediately brought me back to a hunt back in December of 2010. To be completely honest with you, I had forgotten about this particular hunt, which is one reason that I love filming so much- you can bring old memories back to life.

I uploaded the video to my computer, and the memories rushed back to me. On this particular hunt, Blake Lefler was filming, and I was heading to my ‘go-to’ farm in hopes that a buck called High Roller would make an appearance. High Roller never showed himself, but an old doe that I knew all too well did. We called her the ‘hole in nose doe’ (yep, really original, huh?), and she had eluded us since we first started getting photos of her back in 2009…..

2009:
holedoe09.jpg

2010:
Holedoe1.jpg

She had a slug hole through the top bridge of her snout, and when she was aligned perfectly broadside you could see clear through it to the other side. As the sun began to set in the west, and the odds of a mature buck showing began to fade, I set my crosshairs on the old doe's vitals. A slow squeeze of the trigger and the story of the hole in nose doe was over. Yet another multiple year history ended, but this time without the rack.

It was a great hunt, and one that will now be never forgotten as the video was since recovered and brought back to life. If you're interested, here is the video of the hunt that I edited this afternoon; "HOLE IN NOSE DOE VID"

Take care boys, and best of luck if your'e out in search of sheds!

-Chris

A bunch of years ago my son shot a huge doe that had a hole going clean through her muzzle area. We never did figure out how i happened but it didnt seem to bother her as she was healthy other then being super old.

Top Bottom