Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A question for those who have built AR style guns

iowabucks

Hey everyone, i have wanted an AR-15 for years. Never got around to purchasing one yet. I have been reading a little lately about building your own, and for the most part everyone says it's not that hard.

For those that have built thier own, is it easy enough for a mechanically minded person like myself to do?

My idea is to purchase a lower somewhere fairly soon. My understanding is thats the only part with a serial #, and needs to be purchased from, or with the help of an FFL holder. So if my plans are to hold onto the lower for possibly a year or longer before building, finances permitting, i should still be good to purchase the remaining parts with no problem should there be a gun ban. Except for larger clips and whatever else they plan to ban.

I will probably buy the lower and parts kit to assemble myself, and buy the upper and barrel already assembled. That should help keep buying tools to a minimum. I really have been getting more DIY with my projects lately and think it could be a fun thing to do. I believe it was this forum that even had threads a few years back where members would get together to purchase and assemble their AR's.

The prices of these guns have gone through the roof lately. Alot of demand. I am thinking of trying to keep the spending to a minimum, but i'm sure by the time i get to ordering the parts i will already have tons of mods i want to do with little or no money to spend. I was thinking of going with a Superior Arms lower which i'm sure is not top quality but they are very close to home and hopefully easier to come by.

Are there lower receiver parts kits with better quality parts as in trigger assemblies and such that can be had for just a little over stock part prices?

Just wondering how to go about this and maybe some buying tips or ideas before i get started. I don't really plan on doing to much with it other than some range time, and maybe some coyote hunting.

Spend the money on a good trigger. You won't regret it. I'm in the same boat. I have a Rock River Match Trigger lower and need an upper. You can catalog build the whole upper. Or order a complete upper and pin it to your lower. Good luck with the project.

Good luck finding parts (and I don't mean that in an insensitive mean way), the prices are ridiculous and ammo is about has hard to find. Honestly, at this point I would consider just buying a complete rifle with the amount of inflation on all of the major parts (lower receiver, upper, bolt carrier group). You can still find barrels, lower parts kits, and some handguards at a pretty decent price. All in all though, it is tough sledding to piece one together like you could a year ago.

Good luck finding parts (and I don't mean that in an insensitive mean way), the prices are ridiculous and ammo is about has hard to find. Honestly, at this point I would consider just buying a complete rifle with the amount of inflation on all of the major parts (lower receiver, upper, bolt carrier group). You can still find barrels, lower parts kits, and some handguards at a pretty decent price. All in all though, it is tough sledding to piece one together like you could a year ago.

I agree with skyleralan. Unless you have lots and lots of time to wait for the parts you want to get in stock, I would personally just buy a complete rifle. I built my first AR in the past year, and even before all of the craziness happening these days, it was very difficult to get the parts I wanted at the right price. I'm sure if you're on a budget like I was, you're going to want to get the most bang for your buck and that will definitely take a lot time not only researching, but waiting for the items you want to become available. If you are willing to wait a long time (months to even years) before you have a complete gun to shoot, by all means build your own. It is not hard at all, and it gives you the option of the quality of parts you will put into it based on your personal application for the AR. If you choose to build one though, my advice is to research the quality of each major part and spend a little extra cash to get the better quality. If the quality is not an issue with you and all you want is something to have fun at the range and have no special application for it, then I would just go buy a decent complete one and get right to shooting. Either way you choose, enjoy it and congrats on making the choice to get one! They are fun as heck and you won't be disappointed!:way:

Top Bottom