Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

a scumball could go down.

shellie

sunday, thinking would be a good day to retreive my stands before the rains , i had collected all but one. one on private ground, i always drive the section and noticed a truck parked along the feild,next to where i go in , tracks leading in, i write the lic number down and be on my way, go to my stand which i had always kept my first 6 steps with me , only to find my stand gone!( chained- locked)gone, he used cutters to cut the chain and used his own steps to reach the top. i head back to my trk, and see this guy carrying a stand out that looks like mine,( not a young man)i take a few digitals and confront him.he said it was his , but little did he know, id etched my phone no underneath the the seat , ah,turns out, its mine--- enforcement said i couldnt use names , but not a pic-- til found guilty, sweet redmption could come soon!has the economy gotten this bad where sportsman our stealing another hunters things?it turns out, he just lost his job & doesnt want charges pressed, i will get my stuff back, but what would you do??i have been taught to forgive our fellow man, but i work hard for what i buy- whats telling me that he wont do it again unless i make him sweat alittle? thoughts?this may weigh more on me than him.

Re: a scumball will go down!

wow...sweet redemption is right! Kudos to you for not beating him with his bolt cutters! I bought a really nice ladder stand this year and it took forever to assemble and put up, and i spent a lot of money on a really heavy chain and lock. Long story short, I never even got to hunt it, someone drove right up to it and cut it with a TORCH!!! Glad you caught him!!!

I would press charges and hope he doesn't come back for revenge.

You could forgive but would he learn a lesson by your kindness? My guess this isn't the first stand he has stolen, especially if he took the time to carry in extra climbing pegs and a pair of bolt cutters, he had it scouted.

Not sure what you should do. Sucks that you even had to deal with that crap.

I would press charges. I would also tell him he needs to be looking for a new job, not out stealing stands.

The fact that he was older makes it worse. He knew what he was doing was wrong, and unless you think he needed to sell it to put food on his table I'd press charges.

Private land: did he have permission to be on it? Does he know the landowner? What does the landowner think? Is he willing to press trespassing charges?

My actions would most likely depend on what I learned from talking to the landowner. It would not be worth losing permission over. If the landowner didn't care, I'd be pressing theft charges. I'd also encourage the landowner to press trespassing charges.

Word travels and you'll have a lot fewer problems in the future if you press charges.

I'd be pressing charges and hoping he didn't retailiate somehow. He'll never learn if he gets let off scott free

tell landowner first, he needs to be removed from property or else something else could come up missing. I would tell all of my hunting freinds and see if they are missing anything locally. I would make sure everyone was aware of him and let him know you have made everyone aware of what happened. If he gets caught again press the criminal charges. If the person has any self respect he will feel guilty just from the public knowing that he is a theif. Definately get him off the ground though!

I would press charges. He knew what he was doing and probably like others have said it wasn't his first time. Nothing wrong with forgiving him but people should pay for their mistakes.

I agree with those that say talk to landowner and if your not going to lose permission or damage your relationship with the landowner then press charges. However with that being said don't expect so much from the court system. Last year I caught 3 tresspassers on my land, after they had shot a bobcat and picked about 10 pounds of scrooms(they were turkey hunting as well). When the police and warden got there and patted them down they also found drugs and drug paraphanalia on 2 of them.

they were charged with 2 counts each tresspassing, (my neighbors property also), 1 count shooting a bobcat out of season, and 2 were charged with drugs and drug possession. They left with their guns. (turkey season and my fiance and I were in our blind on sadi property when they came around)

When it was all said and done in court they recieved......

#1. Robert Slizoski.criminal charges of taking furbearer in closed season and liquidated damages. He paid 75+75+75 and 44 court costs.
..additional charges of 2nd degree criminal tresspass, Possession of marijuana and possession of drug pharphenalia. Charges dropped on pharphenalia and pled guilty to the other charges...paid 50+100 and court costs.

#2. Jonathan Oquist...charged 2nd degree criminal tresspass, pled guilty. 50 + court costs.

#3. Troy Williams...charged 2nd degree criminal tresspass, possession of marijuana and drug pharphenalia. Pled guilty.....75+50+100+court costs

Now this was in NE so perhaps IA protects and respects their law abiding citizens better.

Good luck with what ever you do. By the way the same fellas were driving around this area the very next weekend. So far we haven't had any retribution from them(that we know of). We did have 2 stands stolen though so who knows.

BWese

He only feels bad because he got caught.He will do it again if left unpunished.

Press charges,

when found guilty, post name and pics!

state fines may not add up to much, but a pic. of a thief on a hunting site would prob. teach him a lesson. at least make him think twice before doing it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Private land: did he have permission to be on it? Does he know the landowner? What does the landowner think? Is he willing to press trespassing charges?

My actions would most likely depend on what I learned from talking to the landowner. It would not be worth losing permission over. If the landowner didn't care, I'd be pressing theft charges. I'd also encourage the landowner to press trespassing charges.

Word travels and you'll have a lot fewer problems in the future if you press charges. </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Most people dream of catching a guy walking out with their stand!! I feel sorry for the guy if i was the one to catch him he would get everything thrown at him possible!!! plus the bolt cutters!!! I would ask him if thats how he takes down his stands every year with tree pegs and boltcutters!!! great name for the post..... Scumbag!!!!

Thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it, i did talk to the land owner and the only 3 people that were allowed on the land were me and his two grandsons.hes checking with them to see if they gave permission to anyone , but not to his knowledge.if not , he will file tresspassing charges, and ill do the same with hopes of no retaliation, or to have him move on and do it to another hunter.
To be honest i was so p---off when i confronted him, that after i started my tyrad, i thought, this isnt smart, im alone,if he has a gun, i have nothing, the whole milo ia farmer incident started to play in my mind!when i cooled down and ask him why he did it, he had a look of fear and rage & still never gave me an answer.he never once offered it back, until the an officer showed up.he would have had to find it by walking in on state ground near the river which is over a mile, the reason why i think he parked on the road is, he didnt want to hawl it that far and thought he wouldnt get caught.my wife always says, for safty reasons when hanging stands, bring someone with you. i should have but if i had one of you backing me, whoa!, i might have been the one going to jail.the look on his face was one that was about to snap, end of the road type thing, i felt very uncomfortable afterwards, but there is a lesson learned here guys, bring a friend,or just wait for an officer to show up, i had pics, and a lic plate no, no reason to put ourselves in harms way over a $100.00 tree stand.but at the time , that was the last thing i was thinking about.when i ask him if he had been hunting sheds here also , again , no answer, thats why i havent found any , hes got them to.Ive thought about this for 3 days and its time for iowa whitetail redemption! thanks to your support, and no show of remorse from this guy, i hope he takes what hes got coming as a lessoned learned. im wondering hows hes going to explain this to his wife and kids after his court date.

Top Bottom