Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Action?

BDAHMS

Be here Now
Curious with this cold snap and snow- what is everyone seeing out there? I planned on going out Monday evening and Tuesday- but the neighbor of the place i was going to hunt asked if he could sit in my box blind so I chose to not hunt and allow him to hopefully get his first buck

I am thinking thursday evening I will get back out there and hunt each evening and sat AM as well

So- im chomping at the bit- what are you all seeing??????

I am seeing major movement to food by does, but based off cams all the bucks are after dark. Saw 40 last night and not one set of antlers. This property has been left alone all year just for late muzzy. That being said I have no clue what the neighbors have been doing and I did have trespassing issues as a camera came up missing during the first shotgun season.

It seems big boys are going down all over the state so I would go whenever possible. Down to 4 days. Good luck

I can tell you from scouting from the truck and what my buddies have killed and seen they are feeding hard and early. Lots of good bucks seen but not the one I'm after yet. If possible I'd get out there.

Deer are definitely hitting food early!! Had 4 does and a 4.5 yo half rack In three nights ago with tons of daylight left.
Two nights ago I had a three does come into the corn around 5:10.
Last night I had 9 deer in the standing beans around 3:30. One was a great buck, small buck, and the rest antlerless..

I'm going to try to get out again tonight.

Last edited:
Saturday night I sat on a cut bean field. I saw 15 but all of them came out right at dark. That was before it got really cold. Went out last night with really high hopes after the snow and cold snap, same cut bean field and saw a whopping 0 deer. Very disappointing. There were plenty of tracks in the field from the night before so I was shocked I didn't see anything. I did hear 4 different single shots around me while I sat, so somebody was having some luck.

My buddy that was plowing said the deer were out feeding heavy as soon as the snow stopped falling. Last night I saw deer on their feet in the timber at 3:30 but the did not come out into the cut beans until the last minutes of shooting light. When they did come out they came running to feed.

I glassed last night a majority of the deer stayed in the timber on woody browse and Locust pods. Area had 7-8" of fresh snow cover and no standing crops in the area.

Last edited:
I glassed last night a majority of the deer stayed in the timber on woody browse and Locust pods. Area had 7-8" of fresh snow cover and no standing crops in the area.

x2. Two nights ago most of the deer were browsing on cedar and there is cut corn everywhere.

Last night on the way home from work, around 5:30, I saw groups of at least 8-10 deer in cut corn fields and one group in a hay field (guessing it has some alfalfa in it and probably clover for sure). Might have been some on cut beans, but most of the fields were corn.

Last night went home about 15 minutes earlier than the previous night. Even more deer out on cut corn and beans. Only saw one in the hay field mentioned above, but others could have been out of sight in trees. Some were just coming out of the trees/draws around 5:25. Almost got one with the car too! Was looking at a few out in cut corn and noticed a little one running toward the road. About didn't see mama standing on the shoulder!

I will be headed out this afternoon to my Box blind. Hate wind but hate that there is 2 days left after today even more!

I've been out daily since day after Christmas, seeing good numbers everyday just majority is does. The bigger bucks were more common last week, I'm blaming the full moon. Bucks that have been out at 430 are now coming at 515. The older/bigger bucks were coming at 515 now are after shooting hours. It's colder and have snow so should be out sooner

I have had 2 trail cameras over the field this blind is at- will pull the cards and check before I get settled- should have a good idea on what/who has been coming in. Hopefully I see that buck I dropped last week

Are you guys hunting the food or way to food?Easy exit or clearing field? I've been yote howling to clear field, but still could see a mile or better at 6 last night

My blind is on the edge of a cut bean field at a pinch point between two large sections of timber. Either in the field or staying in the timber- they have to walk by this blind of they are moving

Yeah I'm on standing beans/and or corn depending where I'm hunting. I have to walk across open field to exit so I've been clearing field. Just they run to 500 yards and look. Hell other night cleared field, unzipped blind to get out and 6 were coming in, scared them to me lol.

Man I wish I could go today! I was off all week to bowhunt but my property is over an hour away and the weather has been crap for traveling and staying in my camper with a small electric heater. The days that were good for travel were horrible for wind direction where I wanted to hunt. Twice this week we couldn't get out of our driveway due to snow drifts. Today i'm stuck at work. I know this warm up this afternoon to 20 will have deer on their feet early heading to feed. This is killing me!!!!

Top Bottom