Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

After the flood 2008

150 Class

Well, not exactly after the flood yet but the water is receding in most areas. Here are some photos near the Wapsi at old Highway 61 and the one business there that is trying to keep their sense of humor about it all. Make sure you read their sign. This is after the water has dropped quite a bit. Feel free to add your photos to this post.

DSC002052.JPG

DSC002082.JPG

DSC002102.JPG

Here is a couple pics of Hwy 22 outside of Muscatine just past the Cedar River bridge. Every bridge south of Cedar Rapids was closed for awhile. Only a couple open now, others will be months before they are repaired.

I found some good pics of the Cedar Rapids flooding. After about picture 30 you really get an idea of the extent of the flooding.
CR flood pics

Highway22Damage013.jpg

Highway22Damage015.jpg

Highway22Damage016.jpg

Whoa....thanks for the pictures. Just think if you were driving and had a run in with one of those sink holes. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Theres sink holes down here in Burlington that are HUGE. The gulfport levee broke last week and 4 miles of highway 34 is under 8-10 feet of water. The water has no where to go so somehow they are going to pump the water out. But i guess the highway and bridge wont be open for at least 6 weeks. People i work with now have an hour and 15 minute ride to work, instead of a 10 minute ride to work.

Oh and last but not least, im sure a few of you guys have visited the gentlemens clubs over in gulfport. They are all under water. All you can see if the roofs.

I saw where a couple of the railroad bridges over the Cedar and Iowa rivers had loaded railcars left on them so the bridges wouldn't get swept away. Sounds like it worked in a few places and didn't work in others.

The railroad left an engine and 4 cars full of water on the bridge over the Iowa River by the Tyson plant in Columbus Junction. The bridge somehow made it thru but when they went to back them off the bridge it fell thru. Luckily it had made it over shore but still landed in waist deep water. The engineer was trapped awhile till they got him out. Non life threatening injuries. I don't know if the ground was too soft or the pilings had just soaked up too much water. Either way it was an old bridge. Glad no one got killed. Bet it was a heck of a ride.
railroadbridgebyTysonplant.jpg

Top Bottom