Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

After work hunts...

KANSAN

PMA Member
So here's the game plan, guys. I was going to head out today, but winds are gusting over 40 mph. So I figure the rest of the week I'll be out after work each day. I'll shower/de-scent in the morning, and carry more Scent Away deodorant/spray with me to the field. I get off work at 3:40, and it's a 20 minute drive to my stand. If I leave directly from work, it should give me enough time to get parked, dressed, sprayed down and up in the stand by 4:45 or so. Sunset at 6:34, with awesome winds this whole week. My question is, how many of you take advantage of after-work hunts? I'll be fairly hurried, but I'll make it to hunt prime time. Thoughts?

I'm with you Jody. Anytime the schedule allows. I've stripped in the field outside the truck and done a sponge bath with scent eliminating spray. (I know, don't picture it. It ain't pretty) I keep scent free hunting clothes in a bag in my truck just in case my schedule allows me to duck out.

Matthew

For me 5 out of 7 hunts are after work hunts. I don't have the time to go through the motions that you are "supposed to" do before each and every hunt in regards to scent. I do as you plan to do, park, change and hunt. This yr I even gave up on the spray part except for my boots....I thought, "what's the point?"

Im going to try this week.

I wanna shoot a doe before my rut vacation starts next week.

I get off work @ 4:30 and its a 40min drive to my spot. I will dress and run to my stand. Hopefully I can be in the stand by 5:20ish. Im hunting a hay field, the deer have been hitting close to 6. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Early in the year I try to make it out 2 times a week for the first few weeks.

I always try to, but then the time changes, it gets dang tough. That's when you start the pre-work hunts. Might only be out there an hour and half, but its got to be better than nothing.

I am all about after work hunts...hard to find the time otherwise. I have even snuck in to a spot when there is only half hour of day light left. You just never know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JakeWym</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am all about after work hunts...hard to find the time otherwise. I have even snuck in to a spot when there is only half hour of day light left. You just never know. </div></div>
Exactly

i know quite a few guy`s who scored big on after work hunt`s. my brother in-law got in the stand at 5:15 shot a 187 by 5:30 your only risk is getting busted on the way to the stand.

Jody,

Ive lived that scenario most of my hunting days for the last few years,when I worked night shift it was never an issue I hunted morning usually 3 or 4 days a week but I was promoted and moved to working days I wondered how Id ever survive without the hunting freedom I had for the past 14 yrs. know what though I made the best out of it its 17 mile from my job to my south stand and I get off at 3:3o too, Ive found especially this time of year that end of the day hunting can be just as magical as mornings, and usually a whole lot warmer too I too carried my clothes with me and scent away spray I always kept my clothes in a plastic bag with a grocery bag in it to that I kept full of dried leaves Id save when I raked the yard Im a firm believer the best cover scents come from mother nature especially cottonwood tree leaves. Ive had some pretty exciting hunts in the evenings, the only negative there is, is that if you get a stubborn deer stuck that dont want to die 3:40 tomorrow afternoon is a long ways away so if that happens hopefully itll stay coolenough the deer wont go bad and hopefully the critters dont find it first. So Id say if that happens youll probably be playing hooky the next day to get out there early and find that deer.

I say get out whenever you can even if its only a short amount of time. You definatley won't kill anything at home on the couch.

I killed my first doe of the season sneaking up on a field with 20 minuets of shooting time left, and I usually get a couple does doing the same every year with just a quick sneak on a field after work. Its also a lot more fun shooting them off the ground by sneaking up on them and getting into bow range! Of course I only apply this tactic on areas I don't mind spooking deer:)

The way I do it is IF I have the short evening hunts- I pick the stands that are easy to get into quickly without spooking alot of deer. I save the other stands for all day hunts, morning hunts OR when I have plenty of time.
IMO- if someone hunted a great stand BUT goofed it up pretty bad when they hunted it crunched on time- they are doing more harm than good and decrease your chances of killing a mature buck. So, bottom line, IMO- get out every chance you get while combining the lowest impact POSSIBLE. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well, I guess the verdict is in. Jody just called and I'll just say the after work hunt was a success. I'm sure he'll post about it himself, but it may not be tonight because he and Alicia got a long night ahead of them /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Matthew

That's just wrong Mathew to leave us dangling like that. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have taken advantage of a few rainy days. Have taken two does so we actually had something to do at work... Dont think i could have found a better job when all we did friday was make deer jerky /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif But either i take the day off at noon or i try and get off around 3 to get my hunt in. Just seems like their isnt enough time in the day to hunt anymore.....

Like Matthew said, Monday's after-work hunt was a definite success!! We're heading out tomorrow after work to get pictures, I'll post them tomorrow night (well it's 12:30 am so technically I'll post them tonight LOL) - along with a story you won't want to miss - in the PMA....we're pooped!! I guess that's what happens when you haul out close to 400 pounds of deer out of the woods!

jody,
im with you, after work hunts are all some of us can do, this turning the clock back stuff here shortly will screw alot of that up, esp when you have a 40 min drive to your spot and get off at 400.that leaves you less than an a hour after you get there, change, and get to the stand ,but, it can be done.

i do allot of after work hunts i have scent lock and i keep all my stuff in a tote i spray down everything i was out last night i saw five differant deer but no shooters i get out about 3 to 4 times during the week i have a very understanding wife haha

Top Bottom