Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another "Age Him" post

JNRBRONC

How old you think this guy is? Thinking fat 3 yr old. Two cameras, same spot, lost the controller to program the Scoutguard.

Last edited:
If you think he's 3 1/2 I'd be getting him out of the pool. Body says 3 1/2 but the rack says he's just obese ;)

If you think he's 3 1/2 I'd be getting him out of the pool. Body says 3 1/2 but the rack says he's just obese ;)

It's a extremely rare circumstance where culling a 3.5 year old is needed or recommended by almost all deer biologists. Unless he's hurt bad, leave him alone for another year.

Besides its impossible to genetically alter free ranging deer enough to matter by shooting bucks.....

It's a extremely rare circumstance where culling a 3.5 year old is needed or recommended by almost all deer biologists. Unless he's hurt bad, leave him alone for another year. Besides its impossible to genetically alter free ranging deer enough to matter by shooting bucks.....

Not necessarily disagreeing with you however in this case if I think he is 3 1/2 and looks like that he's probably gone if it's my property. One, I have a land owner tenant plus I really don't think that deer blows up at 4 1/2.

Nothing about that deer looks old, no sway back at all.

I definitely would not shoot him just to cull him out, but I would if you would be happy with him as is. I shot a monster last year, by far the best one I've ever gotten, and may ever get. He was a basic main frame 8 that grossed near 170. I found his sheds from the year before, and he put on 3+ inches of width and a lot of mass. I'm now a believer in letting them hit 4.5 or older. You never know what that last year or two will do for him. They tell me patience is a virtue........

Why do you want to know his age? Just curious, because you know he is young. Are you wondering if he will grow or just be a little deer. Wondering myself

Top Bottom