Another round of MN Musky Madness!

Shoot2Kill

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves....we had an incredible night fishing muskies last weekend. With three fish, 2 of them being 50s, this was a night musky guys dream about. I hadn't fished all that much for the first month of the season...new baby, tough weather conditions, etc so I was waiting for the heat and the bite to pick up. I'll wait every year for a month to stick the first one if she's gonna be a FIFTY! :D

50.75 x 19 right at sunset...I've wanted a sunset musky picture since I came down with the musky virus two years ago. I could not be happier with how this picture turned out! Every year I set a few goals for myself and I had three this year - get a fish bigger than last years 48, get a sunset musky, and get a fish off the lake 18 miles from home that has given me fits for two years. Two boxes checked on the same fish!

4125-sunset_50.75_x_19.jpg

4125-50.75_x_19.jpg

An hour later the net was full of slime again! When she went in the net I really thought it was another 50. She was just so fat that it made her look a lot bigger than what the tape said. 44.5 x 19.5! 6 inches shorter than the 50, but a half inch bigger around! Suuuuuuuuuweeeey! PIGGY!

4125-44.5_x_19.5.jpg

The guy I took with me was a newbie to muskies. I met him online on another fishing forum about 10 days prior when he was asking about help getting started with these fish and told him I would be in his area over the long weekend and had an open spot in my boat if he wanted to jump in. Basically just as Thomas did to me, I totally ruined him that night because he now has been fully infected with the musky virus! At 1:30 in the morning, a split second after I said "man, it's 1:30, my son will be awake in 5 hours, we gotta go" he set the hooks into his first musky - a 50" fatty!!! I couldn't believe it! He was so excited he could hardly talk...hahaha. What a way to end the night!

4125-img_8562.jpg

4125-josh_and_his_50_-_1.jpg

I absolutely LOVE this release shot. I should be a photographer. :D

4125-head_on_release.jpg

4125-release.jpg

The newbie has it so bad he's already going back out tonight!

Last edited:
Congrats Ryan :way: You had a night that alot of guys will not have in a lifetime. Phenomenal Pics and awesome of you to take a newbie and get him addicted to Musky hunting. I am jealous! :grin:

Nice work guys! I lost a lot of sleep that night... :grin: Hoping to spank that night off the books this weekend! HA!

Way to pay it forward brother :way:

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous!!!!!!!!

AWESOME fish, congrats big time.

Did I mention I am jealous?

Sweet release photo, I agree, you should be a photographer.

Nice fish!!!!!!!! I have too caught the musky bug in the last three years. My wifes dad is a big musky fisherman. What lake are you guys fishing? we will be up in a little over a month fishing grand rapids area for a week then heading to lake of the woods.

There was a 57"/ 51 lb. caught on July 1st, around DL. He tried to release it, but it didn't make it. At the taxidermist now.

Back