Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody know how to measure a cape?

dblmainbeam

I measured around the neck close to the head 23" about half way down 26" with the hide off and a little closer to the shoulders he is 28" without the hide. I think this is a huge neck but not for sure.

If you are able to measure the carcass, you should measure 3 things.

1) eye to tip of nose
2) circumference of neck right behind the ears
3) circumference of neck 3 inches farther down the neck.

Generally when you measure the cape on the animal your measurements be roughly 3 inches bigger than the meat measurement. Hope this helps.

Exactly what I was looking for thanks. I wanted to give the taxidemist the right measurements. Im not having one mounted but i can get some in store credit. For when I do get the hog.
grin.gif

Just a question... You said you were measuring for a taxidermist...are you doing the mount yourself and having him order a shell? Because I know around here if you take the deer or even the cape to the taxidermist they will measure it for you, and since they are pros they are sure to get it right!
smile.gif
Hope everything works our for you!
grin.gif

Make sure you don't "give" that cape away. Check e-bay unded whitetail capes. A cape that size turned and salted can bring a couple hundred bucks! Good luck.

I am giving it to the taxidemist for credit. He told me last yearhe would like to like to know the neck measurements before you cape it out. I thought about Ebay but I thought the high dollar ones were already tanned. To late anyway I just got back from dropping it off at his place. As ussual a day late and a dollar short.

Top Bottom