Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone from the Ottumwa area?

D&D Flesheaters

Owner of D&D Flesheaters
I've been offered a position working in Ottumwa. Just looking for some input on the city, the people, the area, and any other info that might pursuade me one way or another.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
Chad

I grew up in Ottumwa. Not the greatest, but not the worst. There are lots of people there trying to make it better and I think that it has gotten better since I left there in 2001. As with any town, you have to take the bad with the good. There are lots of places to hunt around there as long as you get to know some people...

If you have more questions feel free to PM me.

I have been from a small town around Ottumwa for most of my life other than when I was in college. There are plenty of small towns around the area that if you didn't mind a short commute, 15 - 25 minutes, that you could live in and avoid the actual city life of Ottumwa. I agree with Jonny there are plenty of places to hunt once you get to know people and the whitetail/turkey population is abundant. Once again there is good and bad with every town but the wildlife opportunities of the area could out weigh anything negative about the town IMO.

I heard of a guy who made some T-shirts to sell in his shop in Ottumwa. They read "Ottumwa, the City Of Bridges......and a hundred reasons to jump off of one!" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif City council shut down the sale of the shirts but I thought it summed it up pretty good. I've actually began traveling to another town for groc., etc for the simple reason I feel like a minority in that town, and have had a few bad happenings there. I agree about some of the smaller towns in the area being much better especially if you are raising children. The hunting and fishing opportunities are great though as noted.

In some circles I've heard Ottumwa refered to as "Ottumwatucky" and "Oscumwa".

I will say they have top notch EMS and Ottumwa Regional Health Center is pretty good, at least the parts I deal with; ER, ICU, and new born.

The 'Bonker

I will just agree with all above, my land is by there- great hunting, town is not as great, hopefully getting better. Low cost of living could be a big + ???? Deer hunting in the town is good too from what I have heard if you qualify and go through the process (go to Whitetail Archery in Agency- best archery place in Iowa, IN MY OPINION!!!)

I have land and cabin SE of Ottumwa. When I bought it,,guy that sold it to me said bow hunters, hunting pressure in general was low for the area,,,,WRONG,,,,. Everyone I have met in my area bow hunts and gun hunts. Deer numbers are alright,, but also not what I expected, from what I heard. All the land is tied up for hunting. Every land owner either hunts or has family that hunts. Is alot like the state I came from, although over-all hunter numbers nothing the same.

Oh yeah, I will second that one loneranger, there's no shortage of bowhunters. I have found in 5 years the hunting pressure changed, people are fighting over ditches of trees, well maybe not fighting BUT ground that I would never used to consider hunting is tapped because of more people, less access. No question the competition is WAY UP in the area. I kinda think that's everywhere in IA but way worse in higher publicity areas.

Thanks for the input. I've been there and wasn't too impressed with what I saw, but wanted some more viewpoints on things. I appreciate the help.

Chad

Top Bottom