Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone hunt Big Creek?

spinefxr

PMA Member
Just wondering if anyone hunts the public land at Big Creek. I'm thinking of checking it out, because it's closer than the ground I usually hunt.

cant say i ever hunted but i have walked through it alot, walking all the way from the highway by the gun range to saylorville lake goose hunting, yes i know its a long miserable walk lol but i did find tons of deer sign, there was a lot of rubs, during early september, and really nice trails and every night we hunted we always saw deer coming out of the timbers. saw one buck in the 120's but i know there has to be bigger there. wouldnt be a bad spot to check out by any means!! goodluck with it, i know it gets to be one thick sob back there!!
smile.gif

I hunt several areas between highway 17 to the Olafson range. I used to hunt between range and Polk City but there were too many other hunters so I moved west. Live4rut is correct that there are places that are very thick in there. The thickest parts seem to be in the bottom of the bigger ravines where the iron weeds and burs have gotten so thick.

I can save you some time though, there are no deer in there so don't waste your time.
wink.gif
Just kidding. Actually I drive a Maroon and Silver Chevy 3/4 ton, so if you see it parked and wait until after sunset I'll be very glad to talk deer hunting with you.

I see many deer in there and over the years I've seen a couple dandy bucks, however very seldom do I see the same big buck more than once. On several years, I've been able to pattern a resident dominant buck with the does and most years it has been a 3-4 year old with a big body and basket rack. One year I was all excited when I saw a newcomer with a 130+ rack heading towards me, only to have the resident basket racked deer charge at him and chase him off. It ticked me off so I shot the basket racked resident the next time he walked by. (I hoped a better blood line might have replaced him) Sometimes I wonder how many people actually walk through the area? Early in the year I see an occasional squirel or rabbit hunter, last year I think I made a squrrel hunter mess his drawers by saying good morning to him as he walked under me. But I think the pheasant hunters & trappers that use the area are the biggest influence on deer patterns.

IaCraig

I live right on the north side of Big Creek and have hunted it before. The bucks are hard to hunt but not impossible. Does are plentiful and you would have a great chance at harvesting one. I have found several sheds that have been very respectable. If you ever need any help on hunting some of the least pressured areas please pm me and I would be happy to fill you in or show you myself. I am thru the area at least twice a day so I know where the pressure is and isn't.

John Sable

Iowa Deer. Do you live in the house right on the gravel By the public hunting parking lot on the north side?
And have a pontoon?

Top Bottom