Anyone know??

i have an idea, and am anxiously awaiting the Monday show.

all I know, is they were making quite a bit of noise in that blind...add that to a world class buck being within bow range and I'm sure the outcome favors the buck, but I"m hoping Bill put the "hat-trick" on his season. It's been a real treat to watch bill's video blogs this season. He's top-notch, HANDS DOWN!!!

I enjoy the way he left us viewers hanging...some suspense is good every now and then, instead of Kill after Kill after Kill.

I am going to guess that he got that buck since there have been no additional hunting segments added this week by Bill. Either way, I bet his server crashes tomorrow. :grin:

WIwhitetail, I dont think Bill has a protected honeyhole, he just happened to have a year when an unusual amount of topend bucks have made it to this point. I think his low profile approach to hunting them is what makes the differerance and keeps them around, not bumping them out to the neighbors every time he is getting desperate like most do. He has had some slim years like all of us, but this year its all paying off. Its all just a matter of not shooting your bucks with the most potential young, giving them the best area around to live, not overhunt/bump them out to the neighbors, and hunt smart, in and out clean.

I just watched as well....... man, I love MW and Bill is a class guy, but man does he fall apart when the moment of truth arrives. That is atleast 4 stud bucks in the last few years that he has wounded or missed. OUCH. I hope he gets back on him.

He has prime deer hunting property and if I remember right he didn't even start bowhunting until late October, something like the 27th or so. We would all benefit from not starting hunting until late October. I am not sure if I could wait that long, but we would all benefit by not hunting until the time is right. I enjoy his hunting tips and his website is awesome.

I just watched as well....... man, I love MW and Bill is a class guy, but man does he fall apart when the moment of truth arrives. That is atleast 4 stud bucks in the last few years that he has wounded or missed. OUCH. I hope he gets back on him.

I don't know if I would say that he falls apart, but yes, he has had multiple "incidents" in the past 2 or 3 years, even on deer he has taken. He seems to have a lot of "ducking" on deer that he is shooting at.

FWIW, I have had very similar experiences over the past 3 or 4 years, deer ducking at the shot that is, not shooting at multiple giants like Bill has. :D Just going off of memory here:

2011 - shot at 1 deer w/bow, result high hit, spined it, finished it up within seconds.
2010 - shot at 2 deer w/bow, 1 high hit, over the spine, deer not recovered but 95% sure it survived. 1 high hit, spined it, finished it up within seconds.
2009 - shot at 2 deer w/bow, 1 high hit, spined, finished it up within seconds. 1 shot in the boiler room, dead within 60 yards.

My youngest son has also had similar results, too many high hits, usually with deer ducking the arrow. I am not saying this never happened back in the day, but it seems much more common today, at least for us and apparently Mr. Winke too. I suspect that the quickspin and/or plastic vanes are too noisy and the deer are ducking the sound of the arrow, but whatever it is I would like to figure it out and solve it.

That's just insane. Bill is one of the best hunters out there but geez he's gotta start doing things a little different. I think if he'd aim for a heart shot he'd kill all the deer he's missed or wounded. With his draw length, poundage, and arrow weight these deer should not be ducking arrows that bad.

That deer freaks me out. Just a Monarch. I hope he's still around next year.

Last edited:
That's just insane. Bill is one of the best hunters out there but geez he's gotta start doing things a little different. I think if he'd aim for a heart shot he'd kill all the deer he's missed or wounded. With his draw length, poundage, and arrow weight these deer should not be ducking arrows that bad.

That deer freaks me out. Just a Monarch. I hope he's still around next year.

I agree. The deer did duck, but even more so I just think the shot was a little higher than it should have been anyway. It does surprise me that he didn't shoot lower, especially since he mentioned in one of his earlier shows this season the fact that he needs to shoot lower on the deer due to them ducking. I realize he did not think this one was spooked enough to duck, but still why take the chance? Not trying to put Bill down, he's still light years ahead of me as far as his hunting and skills go. And here I am acting frustrated, I can't imagine how he felt. Man I hope that buck is still alive though.

I don't think this deer ducked like the ones in the past. If you watch the slow motion footage, this deer doesn't drop until the arrow is already in him. This was just a bad shot on Bill's end. I hope they pick up his sheds.

IMO it has more to do with him not settling his pin on the vitals and squeezing the trigger. If you have followed the show and his mishaps or even kills (a lot of spine shots) I don't think he takes his time and draws a clear sight picture. He seems to (admittedly) get very rattled and lose focus of making a good shot. He did it on the G5 buck earlier this year and a bunch of the bucks he has had encounters with in the past. I have to agree with JJ on this one. I know ALOT of guys that have killed ALOT of big bucks and not had problems with them "ducking".

He said in the 'ask Winke' section that he basically just hurried the shot and doesn't even know the yardage or where his pin was on the animal. All of those bundled together is a recipe for disaster, ducking or no ducking. I feel for him, but he has had one of the most unbelievable seasons of any bowhunter on earth this year. I really hope that buck makes it to next season and we can see him close the deal. What a giant!

jjohnson;457082 I think if he'd aim for a heart shot he'd kill all the deer he's missed or wounded.[/QUOTE said:
I agree and its interesting that his left/right is always perfect, but last 3 years, one hes taken and lost are all high. If I recall, Daggers was shot last year high and lost, before taking this year.

I am wondering if he is pulling his head, follow through etc but he knows way more that me.

I always aim for straight above the leg and low and even then I shoot many through the 10 ring. We will never beat their speed, and Bill shoots a 30"+ draw, 80#....speed is maxed IMO.

What a deer though :way:

Any chance you boys think he will close it out on the deer yet this year. I know he is done hunting by now, but at the end he was going back after him on the 6th. I would have switched to the muzzy after wounding him personally, but that's his decision. I agree with ded and jj. Between G-4, this deer, not sure but I thought he spined Daggers too, and then the deer called Bubba that he's been chasing that he shot in the neck two years ago, he has had some marginal shots in some great opportunities. Granted those shots happen to everyone once in a while, but to have it happen that often, I would start doing something different.

If his left and right are good he maybe coming down with his pin on the animal and hitting the trigger when it gets on the animal. Maybe
he should start bring his pin up on the animal.

Winkster seems to be very honest and forthright with his thoughts and feelings about the hunt and hunting in general. I'm glad he is, makes his shows more enjoyable than others, and I hope he doesn't change.

I mean, the dude really lets you in on whats going on with the hunt, the deer, the situations and that is what makes the show great. Most guys would edit hunts to only show you what he wants (Leave the tough stuff out) and only talk about what they want you to know.

It appears Bill gives you everything and doesn't duck the details or tough subjects.

Sure we can be critical with some shots, but crap every deer he shoots at is a deer of a lifetime for most hunters.

Back