Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone use Gobble shaker tube calls?

Parker VH

Just curious if anyone has used these shaker type gobble tubes and if so what brands seem to sound or work the best. I've never tried one but always looking for more things to add to the arsenal of tricks:way:
Is there a certain situation when they seem to be the most effective etc.?
Any input pro or con would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Bob

I have used them in the past. I called in too many hunters with it so I quit using it. I also didn't have much luck with getting turkeys to respond to it. I had a quaker boy model.

Last year a gobble tube got me my best bird. Took doubles/triples to call them from the hens. Be careful on ground where other hunters might be involved.

I use them with good luck to get shock gobbles on roost in the morning and evening. Have also gotten good luck getting late morning responses.

Any particular brands seem to sound better than others? I hunt on private land so hopefully calling in other hunters won't be a problem but caution is never to be taken for granted.

I use one just as a locator call. Just hold the barrel in your hand & shake the crap out of it. If a tom is nearby, he will gobble right back at you. After that you put it in your pocket, get near the tom & use a "lookin for love" call to talk him into finding you.

I will tell you that on mornings near 45 degrees or less, my call doesn't work well. The rubber gets too cold to shake properly. I gotta hold it in my hand to warm it up. Sometimes I have to pump it instead of shaking the call. I might need a new one. I've had this one since 2003, the rubber bellow might be getting old. Other than that it works great, gobblers always respond to it.

i've had the quaker boy model from the first year they came out, and won't be without one. its finally seen its last year with me. its a good locator call, and can help draw a tom away from the flock.

Killed a few nice birds with the Quaker boy and like a snort wheeze etc, it can work in certain situations. I have found if a bird is hung up and just wont come-I'll try it and get him fired up, then shut up. Has worked well in the past but the last few years I have not used it.

Mostly I try to simulate a gobbler moving in to a location that I had been calling from-and then shut up. Makes it seem one has taken advanatge of the situation while he stayed back and gobbled. Makes him feel stupid for playing hard to get :thrwrck:

Other times they still don't come :confused: Quaker boy is what I use :way:

I used one last weekend on a tom that hung up and would not come in. I gobbled at him and he could not get out of there fast enough. Just like most turkey calls....get one in the right mood and it will come running. :confused:

I see that Quaker Boy makes a Jake and a Boss Gobble call. Any preference from you guys that use their brand? I would think maybe a Jake call would piss off the toms more causing them to want to come in and whoop him??

I have the Jake call, always gets a response. We all know that a big bully always wants to come around & pick on the little guy.

[/QUOTE]I will tell you that on mornings near 45 degrees or less, my call doesn't work well. The rubber gets too cold to shake properly. I gotta hold it in my hand to warm it up. Sometimes I have to pump it instead of shaking the call. I might need a new one. I've had this one since 2003, the rubber bellow might be getting old. Other than that it works great, gobblers always respond to it.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention this good point. I have the same issues with mine. I have to tuck it inside my jacket to get it warmed up and I'm also probably due for a new one (mine's a little older, I think). I have an H.S. Strut and really like it.

Top Bottom