Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Are Bowhunters Poorer than Other Hunters?

Monsterbuck

Usually go to the Iowa Bowhunters banquet every year but tonight went to the Whitetails Unlimited banquet instead. Holy crap there is a LOT more money raised here! Easily ten times what is raised at an IBA banquet if not more!

It's like a DU banquet compared to Delta. It's just the urban hunters showing off IMO. I'm so sick of watching the lead sponsors buy everything and not even know what they bought.

JNRBRONC said:
And the question you need to ask is how much of that money "stays" in Iowa.....

That's my point exactly! Why are there so many guys throwing all kinds of money at a program that I don't even know what they do. And then you have a local organization like the Iowa bow hunters that dors so much for us and raises so little.

One very big difference is the IBA banquet is run quite differently than the other "fundraiser" banquets that are mentioned.

The only time I felt poor as a bowhunter, was after I bought my bow and accessories, lol.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised. IOWA "regular day folks" - let's say they had a median income of $50k. THEN- what do you think the median income of a SCI banquet would be??? $200k? It's really not that big of deal, it's just- which crowd are you attracting & there isn't anything wrong with EITHER CROWD- everyday folks who are the $15/hour guys at Menards just aren't going to bring the revenue like $250k doctors traveling to a higher end function. No biggy.

"One very big difference is the IBA banquet is run quite differently than the other "fundraiser" banquets that are mentioned."

I think you hit the head on the nail.

Sligh1 said:
I guess I wouldn't be surprised. IOWA "regular day folks" - let's say they had a median income of $50k. THEN- what do you think the median income of a SCI banquet would be??? $200k? It's really not that big of deal, it's just- which crowd are you attracting & there isn't anything wrong with EITHER CROWD- everyday folks who are the $15/hour guys at Menards just aren't going to bring the revenue like $250k doctors traveling to a higher end function. No biggy.

We're talking about a whitetail banquet in Pleasant Hill Iowa not a high roller SCI banquet. Bunch if pick-up trucks outside and tshirts and camo inside.

Just saying it would be nice to see the IBA bring in some money like that.

Does anybody know if WU does anything to help people locally? Would like to know where all that money goes and if any is spent locally.

Last edited:
Back in the day the IBA Spring Banquet was an awards banquet not a fund raiser per se. The IBA wanted to recognize archery hunters for their kills. There were certificates for “First of Species”, there were even shoulder patches. The Spring Banquet was about the only “Big Buck” contest in the state except for some held by local shops and clubs. This was long before the first Facebook post or twitter tweet were even thought of, 46 years ago in fact. Now days (and I’m not saying this is a bad thing) everybody that chooses to puts their kill on the internet or takes them to the Classic so the true purpose of the Spring Banquet has been eclipsed by time and technology.

The IBA depends on the income from the Spring Banquet auction to help fund our efforts to keep Iowa the State it is today. I firmly believe it is through the efforts of the IBA by working with the legislature and the DNR that there were so many 200 inch deer scored at the Classic this past weekend.

Maybe cause if you gun hunt other gun hungers don't care what kind of gun you shoot. Scope, iron sight, pump, auto, muzzy, handgun,......etc etc.

Where as bowhunters most have an opion that what they use is what bowhunting is. Trad, compound, cross, fingers....ect ect. Bowhunting for the most part is an individuals sport and most are too stubborn to except others. This imo.......

Mobil Cooter using IW

On a different note if anyone is interested there is a NWTF banquet in Ankeny on Thursday March 14th. Doors open at 5:30 dinner starts at 7. Last year the attendance was around 70 people so items went very cheap. 5 guns on the banquet this year including a Mossberg AR-15, Pistols, and shotguns. Lots of fun on a Thursday night. PM me for details.

And the question you need to ask is how much of that money "stays" in Iowa.....

I've heard many opinions that WTU's local spending should be much higher considering their revenues. It would be nice to see their numbers.

I go to the IBA Banquet and local WTU banquet. There is little comparison other than a bunch of hunters sitting down to eat. WTU banquets are getting a pretty generic for my tastes. They definitely have the money raking procedure streamlined.

Top Bottom