Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Back from Nebraska!

wapsiguy

PMA Member
Well, we experienced tough hunting conditions. We had wind, rain, wind, snow and some more wind. The gobbling was done by 6:15 and the toms all had plenty of hens. We did have many, many run ins with bands of jakes, lots of jakes.

We hunted hard all day Thursday with on and off rain showers and plenty of wind but all we could get to come to out calls were jakes. Friday we woke up to snow on the ground with wind. We sat up on a gobbling bird and had one other answering us but the one we sat up on quit gobbling and the other gobbling bird went the other way, gobbling of course.

That afternoon we finally had some sunshine so we decided to split up and hunt different areas. My friend Trent went to one side and I went to the other side. It hadn't been more than 15-20 minutes before I heard the shot, I called and he had shot a nice mature tom with 1.25" spurs.

IMG_00101.JPG

He ended up coming to get me and I went to the same area. I spotted a strutting tom out in a meadow and saw that they were headed my way so I got positioned and waited. I ended up getting two birds to gobble multiple times but again they were with hens and were not getting any closer, I had a real good idea where they were soooo I belly crawled to the top of the knob they were on and slowly stood up and found them within 30 yards. I took aim and shot the tom and ran to him to find that I had filled both tags with one shot. I never saw the other tom to the left of him and I thank god that it was a legal bird and a mature bird to boot. one tom had 7/8" spurs and 8.5" beard the other had 3/4" spurs and 8" beard.
IMG_0028.JPG

The ground we were hunting was absolutely beautiful, I did take pictures but the pics can't describe how beautiful the area is.

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_00133.JPG

IMG_00471.JPG

IMG_00041.JPG

Great area and I can't wait to go back. Now I have to get me a bird 4th season /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job, and sweet pictures!

What part of NE were you in, and do you hunt public or private land? </div></div>

We were in NW Nebraska north of Hay Springs and hunted on 8000 acres of private land. We did however find some public ground for future reference.

Top Bottom