Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Becoming an Iowan the hard way!

Tomo

Just a few days ago I was thinking about setting out some trail cams soon. I have a nice chunk of timber along the Missouri river that I hunt near Elk Point, SD where I spotted a bonifide 180+ NT last season.

Then the news started coming in that the dams along the river are full and the corps of engineers are going to let out so much water that Dakota Dunes, where I live, is going to flood and stay flooded for most of the summer. Next thing I know state law enforcement officials were knocking at my door having me sign a piece of paper saying that I would evacuate by 5pm Friday the 3rd.

Luckily the school that I work for, Woodbury Central, had a house near the campus that belonged to them. It was vacant and they rented it to me. I have spent the last 4 days sandbagging and moving my family to Moville, IA.

The sights and sounds of flood relief efforts right outside my home is surreal. National Guard troops are everywhere. Here is a short clip of a black hawk helicopter hovering over my house looking for a place to put down the sandbags.

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/ptomoson/?action=view&current=IMG_0107.mp4

Man, I know what you are going thru. I am going to Mondamin tomorrow to evacuate horses and as much hay as I can move before the water gets here, for some friends.I cant believe they say the water will be here for months. Gonna be some great bowfishing though.

Well, sounds like you will be here long enough to become a resident and get a deer tag cheap. That sucks what you are going through. I hope it all works out. This flooding really is ridiculous. I was up in Waverly Iowa the other day and I noticed they had their dam halfway torn out. I asked a few locals and they said they were installing a rubber dam.

Supposedly this is an inflatable dam that when the water gets really high, they can simply deflate it and it would be as if no dam was there to send the water down on its way. Waterloo also installed these I guess. Hopefully Cedar Rapids has a good plan because I suspect a lot of water in the future.

I was at riverland estates today helping some friends move and seen the wildcat trailer. Was you picking up more items today? I would have stopped by if I would of had time. Will they let you bring your husker stuff to Moville?

Nature can be something can't it???
We were evacuating communities earlier this spring due to flooding, some places were even permanently lost and now less than 2 months later we're evacuating communities b/c of forest fires.
Hope all works out for you and your family.

Hamburg, a town near me with a pop of like 1,000 is going to be 10ft underwater they say. We had to move a few people out of the town today.

I feel for you guys and all who live along the river. Our prayers are with all in the affected areas.
I don't understand how they say it will be flooded for most of the summer. Don't flood waters usually receed quicker than that? Or are they just continually releasing that much water for that long?

I think they are releaseing it that long. I am in the hills over looking the missouri river bottom. They are really increaseing the release now so its just starting to back up into the fields and towns. Its gonna be a mess by next week.

I was in Elk Point yesterday and drove by the dunes......what a mess. I went through downtown Sioux City and then to South Sioux......just thinking about the water being there for months is hard to imagine.

I grew up in Missouri Valley (Mo Town) and have a house in Missouri Valley. It has not be required to have flood insurance before in the past where my house sits. However with the water coming I wish I had it now. I rent the house out and I am worried that things will be shut off and then it will be empty. Either way we have been trying to keep an eye on all the news. At first they were only going to release 150,000 CFI and now they are saying that they might have to go to 170,000 CFI and they are not even close to the 150,000 CFI!!!

This is really going to mess up a lot of stuff and hopefully we can recover from this!!

I have heard that even if you do have flood insurance it wont cover this because it is "manmade" so they say. Is this true?

I have heard that even if you do have flood insurance it wont cover this because it is "manmade" so they say. Is this true?

I've heard the same things. But in anycase if your house if flooded along the Missouri River (or any river with dam systems) why do they require residents to have flood insurance since they all could be "considered" manmade? I would be willing to guess some big lawsuits would be on the hands of insurance companies as the god sent snow and rain which is ACTUALLY causing it.

Heard on the news this morning that once they reach the 150,000 CFI release level that it will stay at that level until AUGUST........it's hard to imagine how much water they must have up there to there to sustain that for that long.

My house will be so close to the water I can spit in the water from my front porch. If my house gets flooded I will have to sue someone because I have no flood insurance my house is not in the flood plain so therefore flood insurance wasn't required. We have been watching the news and reading stuff online from the Army Corp of Engineers (people who caused this mess in the first place) and they are now saying they are going to release up to 170,000 CFI. They are saying that the dams can't hold the water and are worried that 150,000 isn't enough. I-29 is already closed down and looks like there is a lot of good duck hunting holes forming up a long the interstate system.

All the insurance rumors are untrue and we have heard a bunch. Our insurance agent verified this although he did say FEMA takes a long time to cover losses.

Here is my house three days ago when they were still letting people down there. The National Guard has it blocked off now. The river channel runs behind the house and they are saying our homes could fall in as it cuts a new channel where we are at.

CIMG1925.jpg

Pat,
I wondered if your house would be on an island if the sandbag effort upriver didn't hold up and some current was able to get to the canal. Looks like it is still there for now.

Tomo-
All you guys that have been affected by the floods have been in my thoughts & prayers.
I'm just up the road from you now in Kingsley and if there's anything I can do to help you out, shoot me a PM.
I don't know how much space you've got to store your displaced 'stuff', but I've got a little bit of warehouse space you could use if it would help you out. No Huskers stuff allowed though! :D
Seriously though, just let me know if I can help.

Top Bottom