Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bees

Lets see....a fresh tomato or a mountain dew...that's a tough one :D Healthier eating, more active lifestyle helps us regulate in all aspects. Think if America actually did all those things up to snuff. Health care rates would go down, or at least they should with less people getting sick, diabetes etc etc.

Amen Phil!!

I am also very passionately worried about the birds and the bees. As a career conservationist... It's hard not to be.

Loss of habitat, super clean at fields, chemicals are all responsible in some way shape or form and there are certainly arguments both ways. Nanny has certainly opened my eyes on some things so thank you for taking the time buddy.

Here's a thought tho. Why is demand so high for corn/beans?? Let's face it, we aren't "feeding the world" anymore. Ethanol is using up a good bit of that crop that's been planted on marginal acres where it could never grow before and is making it worthwhile to continue to do so while big ag continues to produce seed that can yield.

I think we solve a lot of problems: habitat loss, low wildlife/insect populations, WATER QUALITY, need for lots of chemical, etc., by farming sustainably, voluntarily. No-till, cover crops where feasible, buffer every stream, wetlands at tile outlets. Farm the best, save the rest and quit using our food for fuels and gross by-products when there is better technology out there. Keep demand high by taking land back out of production and let Monsanto keep creating higher yielding products, then let people decide for themselves if that product is safe to eat.

As for me, I sure don't have a problem eating GMO corn raised venison but will likely be hobby farming my own pork, beef, chicken in the future - because it's kind of fun and teaches my kids responsibility as well as my waistline on the slim side. I support locally grown, organic produce (aka my garden or farmers market) when I can, otherwise I buy stuff off the shelves just like most people.

We need cheap food just as much as we need wildlife, insects, organic foods, topsoil and clean water and I am confident there is a happy medium out there. Working in an NRCS office for 2 years, I saw the good and the bad both, and the good works just as well with no harm to the bottom line in most cases.

Coming from the farmer side of this I would do agree with the fact that we are not feeding the world. Are market is drove by over seas country's. And I agree that a lot of ground that shouldn't be is going to corn. Farmers are greedy when corn was high can't blame them for trying to make a buck. Also you worked for the nrcs so you know what a joke it is that in order for a field to become crp you have to had corn in within the last 10 years. I think this causes them to get a lot of land they don't aim for and not the stuff they need. For example we wanted to seed a farm down this year that is in a side hill. But the land owner said we couldn't cause then he will lose the ability to put it into crp eventually.

The "mess" around the house sure is coming to life. Gobs of grasshoppers here in this pic.

Trailing wild beans and other legumes in this pic. Easy way I found to get a few lbs of seed to broadcast at the farm every year on newly prepped sites.

One of my little garden "helpers". Better start leaving my green beans alone or he will be in some stew with them :D

U can see how legumes r great for bugs that feed song bird and game bird poults. Recently had a wren pair setup shop at the garden. Looks like they will have plenty to eat for the year....

Doves working on their second brood. 1st took off a while ago. Point being that everything which helps out bees...helps out everything else...

I love it Phil, those are some awesome pics!

I guess no matter a guy's stance on round-up, one huge benefit to bees long term and everything else..... Go and absolutely fry a worthless brome or fescue field, cook it with round-up a few times so it actually is killed off..... Walk away and never spray round up on it again for years, I've seen many cases where some really cool stuff comes up and a variety of legumes, forbs, flowers, different grasses, etc. pretty neat actually. I usually will mix in some Plateau/Panoramic for the native preference but "good ol" Round-up if done enough to kill cool seasons is fun to try.

The democrats have plenty already wanting handouts...I'll take care of this myself. :D

Jnr and letem are cracking me up here.:D. Now that I know that Obama is on it I can rest easy. :D

Political quip of the day, no extra charge. ..

Remember when Nancy Pelosi famously said that, "We have to pass the bill to find out what is in the bill."?

I heard a guy say today, "Well that sure sounds like stool sample to me!!". ;)

Here is my take on the whole situation. People have become extremely accustomed to cheap food, which is sugar and by products, why? Because they are cheap. But everyone wants to point at GMO's, and conventional farming practices, for everything that goes wrong. If more people would pay attention to what they are eating, eat more raw vegetables, more lean meats, drink more water, and quit hittin McDonalds everyday, you would see a large change. But, budgets are tight, sugars are cheap, and sugars taste good. Going to be hard to compete with all of that.

I just stumbled on this thread and have read every word up to this post by Nanny. Some awesome discussion and interesting points.

But I do agree with Nanny on the above statement... I believe the only way things are going to change is for the day-to-day decisions people make to start changing... and where there is demand for cheap food, people/companies are going to produce cheap food. People start to demand healthier food and are ok with forking over more $ for it or growing it themselves, then things might start changing. I have a hard time picturing thing changing from they way they are another way.

Haven't been on IW for some time - but this was a great topic to come back to.

I've been thinking about starting a bee hive for fun... might just have to do it. :D

People start to demand healthier food and are ok with forking over more $ for it or growing it themselves, then things might start changing.

I've been thinking about starting a bee hive for fun... might just have to do it. :D

I have no problem paying more for food IF, and only if there is a good reason for it. So far the only thing I'm willing to pay extra for is food that tastes better and my taste buds provide all the proof I need there. Stuff like prime meats, fresh veggies fruits & veggies etc... (Not to mention what I pay for the fish & game we consume. :) I do have a problem with people ranting over how unhealthy food is if its "GMO" or not "organic". Until there is a shred of credible of evidence to the contrary, I'm good with GMO & non-organic foods as long as they taste good!

On the other hand; bees & white clover food plots are a definite WIN/WIN combination! Do it! :)

On a side note about bees, I started taking some bee pollen granules. Smells a lot like fresh bales hay.

Not bad and appears to have a host of health benefits along with helping allergies.

Next mission, find a local source for the bee pollen since this is out if IL.

Last edited:
My neighbor who kept bees for a large part of his 92 years told me 'when the bees are gone we won't be too far behind them'

I just stumbled on this thread and have read every word up to this post by Nanny. Some awesome discussion and interesting points.

But I do agree with Nanny on the above statement... I believe the only way things are going to change is for the day-to-day decisions people make to start changing... and where there is demand for cheap food, people/companies are going to produce cheap food. People start to demand healthier food and are ok with forking over more $ for it or growing it themselves, then things might start changing. I have a hard time picturing thing changing from they way they are another way.

Haven't been on IW for some time - but this was a great topic to come back to.

People, eating right and moving enough, would not only actually solve our Healthcare crisis, but force a shift from corn based ag. A shift that Big Ag would never allow.

People, eating right and moving enough, would not only actually solve our Healthcare crisis, but force a shift from corn based ag. A shift that Big Ag would never allow.

Huh??? How does this become about Big Ag? How can I blame Big Ag for my reluctance to get off my a$$ and walk more, or even jog? How does corn based ag force me to eat 2X more calories than I burn up in a day? :confused: Corn is good, but I'm not forced to eat 4 ears of it dripping with butter when 1 would be God's plenty, nor am I forced to eat an entire 20 oz. (corn fed ;)) rib eye when I know I should share it with my wife and still leave leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I know how to be healthier and it's damned sure not the fault of corn based "Big Ag" if I don't make the correct choices! Not any more than its Anheuser-Busch's fault if I wash the whole meal down with too many Amber Bocks... Now I'm making myself hungry. :eek:

I have no problem paying more for food IF, and only if there is a good reason for it. So far the only thing I'm willing to pay extra for is food that tastes better and my taste buds provide all the proof I need there. Stuff like prime meats, fresh veggies fruits & veggies etc... (Not to mention what I pay for the fish & game we consume. :) I do have a problem with people ranting over how unhealthy food is if its "GMO" or not "organic". Until there is a shred of credible of evidence to the contrary, I'm good with GMO & non-organic foods as long as they taste good!

On the other hand; bees & white clover food plots are a definite WIN/WINE combination! Do it! :)
I agree with this and as a beef producer eat that steak:) in today's world organic corn makes no sense to a large scale farmer. We rent a pasture on a organic farm if you want to see what all that cultivating does go look at the 8 inches of us that shows up every time it rains. Why put out soils throw this and than complain about our erosion. On our farm we grow lots of hay and seed waterways with no fall tillage and we don't have near the problems

Top Bottom