Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Climber tree stands

jmm46

Just wondering how many people perfer climber stands, and what is the best brand for the money. Hunting private property, I just thought that rather than buying 8 or 9 portable stands, I could buy one climber and pre-trim 8 or 9 different trees for different wind conditions... what's everyone else's thoughts on this?

I already know what your going to hear from the majority.

"Go with Lonewolf/Muddy hang on with sticks"

Now I am another one that is going to suggest this aswell. I hate straight trees, a person in a stand looks like tumor sticking out on the side of a straight tree. The Lonewolf/Muddy stands are ment to be carry in carry out stands. I can be up a tree in less then 15min. It will take me that in a climber aswell by the time I get all my settings right with the straps and such. Plus you have the opportunity to use trees that arent just perfectly straight.
I cant remeber who on IW, someone goes preseason and trims lanes, trees, ect, and places the batwing hook in the trees. Batwing hook allows a person to hang the stand one handed.

The one advantage a climber like the Summit Viper or several others that are real top of the line is the comfyness. My hunting partner has a summit viper, its ridiculously comfortable, the first time I used it I slept through the first hour of my hunt. Cant hardly fall out of it.

If you were looking at multiple ALLDAY sits I would say go with a highend climber. Butt doesnt get sore, you can take a little snooze if you need to, ect...
If your like me, I cant hardly last 4hours in a stand, I gotta get down and move. I say go with a LoneWolf Stand or a Muddy Outdoors stand. The seat on a LoneWolf is less than an inch thick and is probably one of most comfortable seats. I havent spent any extended amount of time in a Muddy stand.

Goodluck in your choice.

I bought the lone wolf sit and climb with some gift cards I had from xmas. I've only been able to put it up at home and try it but so far I think I'll like it. Very easy, fast, and quiet climber. Looking forward to trying it out this upcoming season.

I have a Summit Razor which I like due to the foldaway bar in the front. Makes sitting shots a reality while bowhunting and ultra comfortable. That said, the LW stand and sticks have all but replaced my climber as my go to run and gun stand. Great points all throughout post #2. Can't really add much more.

Climbers certainly have their place... but if I had to purchase one stand it would be a quality hang-on. With a hang-on you can setup in virtually any tree.... a climber really limits you to straight trees with smaller limbs that can be easily cut, etc. A quality hang-on with climbing sticks is going to be very close to the weight of a quality climber. With practice a hang-on with sticks can be put up and taken down very quickly and quietly. There are just too many old burly crooked trees in the places I like to hunt to make a climber much useful.

Get yourself the treehopper bolt system and a quality hangon.... the bolts would be less work than trimming limbs from several locations. Then all you have to do is carry an 8 pound stand on your back and a pouch of bolts and you are in your tree in no time.

i would go with the summit viper, i love mine its great for a all day sit and easy to carry with the shoulder straps...my vote goes with summit

ive used the summit viper and the lonewolf stand and sticks. ultimately like some others said, it just depends on the trees in your huntin ground. the climber is so much more comfortable but when you want to find a tree at the last minute theres never one around where you wanta be. the lone wolf is nice and easy to pack and fairly comfy to sit in, but you have to be choosy with it too, about the time you find a perfect tree the damn straps are too short. theres pros and cons both ways. im not even sure i could pick between the two.

Spend the money and buy yourself a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb if you want a climber.

I bought mine 4 years ago and love it. Its light, quiet, sturdy and relatively comfortable and you can shimmy up a tree very quickly.

I use this stand for 80% of my sits because I usually hunt public lands were tree pegs are not legal. The only bad thing is if you have alot of knarly trees where you hunt, you should probably not get a climber. Where I hunt their are usually plent of straight tree's in good spots that I have no problem getting up or finding a tree.

Also since you will remove the climber everyday, nobody is going to steal your stand.

Good luck.

One of my first stands was a really crappy climber (by today's standards). It is an Amacker Deer Thief. What I learned from it has turned me against climbers: there is never a straight tree where you want to hang a stand. I hated having to hunt where the "good stand tree" was rather than where the best stand position was. One incident stands out; dropping a wing nut about 15 foot up while trying to go around a limb. It seemed like it took forever for that nut to hit the ground as I watched it fall. Lucky for me, the bolt without a wing nut was good enough for the descent. Granted, the new stands are probably a little better, but I'm not going to be buying any of them.

I still have that crappy stand and somebody should start a museum, as I have some equipment that I should donate.

Top Bottom