Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best soil tester?

cda77

I'm planning on putting in my first food plot this spring and need to do a soil test. Wondering what some of you use to test your soil for ph, etc.

I've had good luck with the results from this test kit from Frigid Forage. It was very easy and pretty fast.

http://www.frigidforage.com/seed-blends/individual-food-plot-seeds/food-plot-soil-test-kits/

The test I sent through my local Coop was not nearly as detailed and they didn't give me much attention since I wasn't a farmer looking for high yields.

If you are looking for a probe or something to give you instant results, you will likely get minimal informaton and the one that I had was not very accurate.

Thanks for the info bowman. I'll check it out. Anyone else had luck with other forms of soil testing?

I have had good luck with the soil test kits from the whitetail institute. They will send your results back by mail or email if you want them quicker.I ran into the same problems at the coop not being very helpful. don't wast your money on the soil probes, the ones i tried were worthless.

I have used Whitetail Institute soil test program. I have them e-mail the results and they came back fast. I have had good luck with the co-op in Lacona getting the correct mixture of fertilizer. They mixed it into a spreading wagon and I picked it up and did the work. The Lime I had them spread for very cheap when they applying other fields in the area. The Whitetail report is detailed enough for people with very little experience to understand.

I also used Whitetail Institute last go around and was very pleased with how easy the information was to understand. Way better than my local coop IMO.

I bought one of the Biologic probes a few years ago.. seems like it pretty much reads the same no matter what soil I put it into. I did, however, stick it into a tomato once to see what it would do and it went to very acidic like I had expected.. So I guess you could say it works to some extent if you're looking for extremes, but If you are trying to refine your soil you better get one of the test kits from one of the places mentioned or from your local ISU extension office.

Top Bottom