Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best way to estimate draw length?

From the AT website.....AMO standard is....
""""from nock point to the deepest part of the grip plus 1.75 at full draw """"

so measure from your thumb(where grip would be) to the string groove on arrow(by your mouth) and then add 1.75"

This is from a guy I know that knows his stuff......

Here ya go.....

"Over 95% of the shooters in the sport today are selecting and shooting a draw length that is 1 to 3 inches TOO LONG. This is robbing them of their potential to perform.
If the bow is improperly fit to draw length a shooter will NEVER shoot as good as they could with proper fit.
So, posted below are the STARTING POINTS for draw length based upon your wingspan (arm spread)
This is measured by standing with your shoulder blades against a long wall. Keeping your shoulders relaxed and DOWN (do NOT hunch up) raise your arms to a "T" formation making sure both arms are extended and level to shoulder height. Have someone mark the wall at the tips of the middle fingers. Measure this distance to the nearest 1/8 inch. Then enter the table below:
WING SPAN/DRAW LENGTH
67"/26"
68"/26 1/2"
69"/27"
70"/27 1/2"
71"/28"
72"/28 1/2"
73"/29"
74"/29 1/2"
75"/30"
etc/etc
It is important to note again that this is a STARTING POINT and assumes you are normally proportioned (your height and wing span are close to each other)
1. This assumes PROPER FORM: BOTH shoulders down and relaxed, head erect, chin level, bow arm relaxed & unlocked, no leaning back at the waist, no tucking the head back to reach the string, tip of drawing elbow even with or very slightly above the plane of the arrow, and the drawing elbow in line with the arrow when at full draw (when viewed from behind) IF you don't have proper form, the chart can't work to give you results.
You must make allowances from the chart:
1. Broad shoulders - - will deduct some
2. Long fingers - will deduct some
3. short fingers - will add some
If you are normally proportioned, and have proper form, then this chart will get you within easily 1/2".
As with anything in archery, this will work for MOST people, but it WILL NOT WORK FOR EVERYBODY.
If you've got your mind made up you can shoot a 30" draw when your wing span is 71 inches, then you need to reevaluate your own situation.
Hope this helps everyone that is interested.
It's been used for over 30 years, it's NOT new and is quite reliable if used correctly.

AGAIN, THIS GIVES YOU A STARTING POINT FOR YOUR AMO DRAW LENGTH. The bow will then have to be set to this AMO draw length. Don’t trust the limb tag, set the Bow’s draw length to this STARTING POINT for AMO draw length.

Thanks every one. Got this all taken care of. The rough estimate put him in at about 27.5 draw length. He loved the feel of the bow and it was all down hill from there. Even though I told him all the specifics of my bow using the add I have wrote up to sell it, he failed to mention that he was left handed........( My add clearly stated Right Hand). In his defense he said the only bow he ever shot before was one he shot in high school that he swears was ambidextrous. He just assumed this was the case. The search is now on.

Top Bottom