Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bleaching a Skull

D&D Flesheaters

Owner of D&D Flesheaters
Found a nice 10 point yesterday that had been hit by a car. I was wondering if any of you have a good formula for bleaching the skull. I have already boiled the skull and gotten rid of all meat. What do I do next?

I like to soak the skull in hydrogen peroxide. Use a PLASTIC container and set the skull in it. Uusually a pan about 6"X4"X12" will work good. Fill the container up until it is just below the antler burrs. Don't let it get on the antler itself as it will whiten the antler. A couple hours in the peroxide and then remocve and let dry. It will have a very nice white color.

I boil mine in a mixture of water and SAL SODA, or "Soda Ash". It de-greases and helps soften up the meat so it is easy to remove. Use about one tablespoon of sal soda per gallon of water. I use a power washer to remove the meat and it works very well. Use a knife to get the stubborn stuff. Once the skull is clean I use a solution of magnezium carbonate and peroxide. Mix it into a thick paste and brush it on the skull. I have found that placing it under a heat lamp really bakes it in. After it has dried, wash the skull well with warm water and put back under the lamp or in direct sunlight for a day or two. You will be very impressed by how white it gets and it won't discolor or get flakey like some other methods. Good luck!!
grin.gif

Just something I learned and tryed this year which will save you a ton of time. Go to the car wash and use the pressure washer.
waytogo.gif

May want to wear rubber boots and a rain suit when you blow the brains out!

This skull was just air dryed following a trip to the car wash!
grin.gif

837bowskull.jpg

I second the car wash.
waytogo.gif
You will be able to remove all the gunk from the nasal pasages and small areas. This will keep you from having to cut the skull length ways to get at that stuff. I think the full skulls minus the jaw look the nicest myself.

You can use toilet paper and paper towls to soak, stuff and wrap the skull in peroxide. The t paper will stick like clay once soaked. You will use less peroxide, just make sure to soak it good again once completely wrapped. Leave for 36 hrs. I use over the counter peroxide, not the beauty salon concentration. It's cheaper I believe.

I would suggest wearing rubber gloves when doing this method. Your hands will get cooked by the peroxide if not.

What a mess and funny looks you get at the wash, but it sure turns out nice. Have done 4 this way and they all look great.

Ghost, your skull looks excellent.

Top Bottom