Broadheads for light draw weights

DoubleLungDiva

What are you looking at?
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site as a member but have viewed posts off of my boyfriends username. He finally got sick of me getting on his name so he created me an account (which I don't like my username name). Anyways, I bought a bow a few months back and have gotten to the point where I feel comfortable in hunting deer this fall. My question is what broadheads are good for a youth/woman archer who draws 40-45lbs? Thanks for your help and I hope to have some harvest pictures to share in a few weeks.

I feel the best broadheads for low poundage shooters is something that is cut on contact or has a relatively small cutting diameter. I've seen good results with a head like a Magnus Buzzcut, G5 montec, Slick Trick standard. This will ensure you get good penetration and hopefully an exit hole. The buzzcuts are a 2-blade with small bleeder blades. They penetrate like butter. Montecs are another great cut-on-contact head. Slick Tricks are just a great all around small profile head. They are extremely sharp and penetrate very well.

Basically just try and stay away from large cutting diameters. Most expandables are this way and it will be tough to get passthrus. If your in to expandables I would recommend something like a Rocket Steelhead. Small enough to still get great penetration.

Shot placement is key with any broadhead. Don't try any crazy shots that your not comfortable with and keep your shot distances as short as possible.

Rage makes a broadhead for lighter poundage bows I think its called 40 k or 40 ke. Somthing like that. I just recommend rage. I bought some $3.00 broadheads from Walmart when I just started out. I shot a deer at 35 yds. with them the arrow went all the way through using a 40 pound bow. It's all in the shot placement, no mater what the broadhead is.

arrow flinger

I feel the best broadheads for low poundage shooters is something that is cut on contact or has a relatively small cutting diameter. I've seen good results with a head like a Magnus Buzzcut, G5 montec, Slick Trick standard. This will ensure you get good penetration and hopefully an exit hole. The buzzcuts are a 2-blade with small bleeder blades. They penetrate like butter. Montecs are another great cut-on-contact head. Slick Tricks are just a great all around small profile head. They are extremely sharp and penetrate very well.

Basically just try and stay away from large cutting diameters. Most expandables are this way and it will be tough to get passthrus. If your in to expandables I would recommend something like a Rocket Steelhead. Small enough to still get great penetration.

Shot placement is key with any broadhead. Don't try any crazy shots that your not comfortable with and keep your shot distances as short as possible.

Great advice right there :way:

A few years ago my younger brother was getting into bowhunting. He was a freshman in high school, but weighed 100 pounds soaking wet. We got him set up with the Rage 2 Blade KE(kinetic energy) broadhead. I was sitting with him when he shot his first deer. He was pulling in the poundage range that you mentioned and shot a 2.5 year old buck at 15 yards. Quartering away he put it right in the sweet spot, got great penetration and left the big gaping entrance hole that Rage's leave. Deer went 40 yards and piled up. Granted every broadhead pry would have done that with the placement, but the penetration is what amazed me. He completed buried the arrow and it broke the offside should. You could feel the tip of the broadhead through the hair on the offside. Had he not hit the shoulder I feel that it would have easily been a complete pass through. I have heard bad things about the Rage heads, but have used them for the last 4-5 years with no issues at all. Always been a user of the 2 blades, and I saw first hand what the KE's can do. Made a believer out of my dad and older brother as well.

Chris' #1 rule: Don't listen to Muddy

6 posts and she's already got this place figured out :D

shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, and a good sharp cut on contact head. My women only pulls 45lbs with a 23 inch draw length. I set her up with the 85grain Montecs and last year on the doe that she killed at 30 yards, she had clean passthrough. Not that everyone cares for the guy but Nugent has killed probably more animals than just about anybody else and he only pulls 52lbs. Point is don't worry about draw weight and focus on being a good shot. Good luck this fall :way:

If you are wanting to go with a mechanical, Grim Reaper makes 75gr and 85gr heads.
The 75's have a 1 1/8 cut, and the 85's have a 1 3/8 cut (which is the same cut as the 100 gr).
They'll fly like your field points too.

Like stated before, it's all about shot placement.
BUT, we're not perfect and I like to account for that. Which is why I shoot the Reaper 2" Whitetail Special. :way:

My wife is using the Slick Trick Razor Tricks 100 gr. The Razor Trick is a cut on contact head. She is shooting 41 lbs. She has gotten pass thrus on deer and hogs.:way:

Like the others, cut on contact heads. My wife killed two deer last year shooting 4-blade Magnus Stingers. She's drawing 43lbs. Others will disagree, but I would reccomend 100 grain heads also.

Welcome aboard!:way: My 10 year old son will be bowhunting this year and he is pulling just under 40lbs. We did some searching and settled on the Steel Force 100 grain cut on contact heads. So far they are flying well, although he is limited to 15 yards. We decided to avoid expandables and wide cuts with his low draw weight.

Good luck and be sure to post some pics of your hunt / harvest.

you cant beat a rage.

Until you hit a shoulder or they open up when you pull them out of your quiver or the oring goes bad and they open in flight. Not to be a jerk but I really believe there's much better heads out there. Especially for low poundage archers. Every year I hear horror story after horror story and it's really a shame all the hype over these heads.

Last edited:
Back