Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadheads?

R

Renobber

Ya I think I am gonna try to get a turkey this year with the stick and string, cause I figured they make me mad with a shotgun anyway and this way I will have all seasons to hunt them and can possibly put a stalk on. I am wondering for broadheads, I have heard that you want them a little bit duller than what you want your deer huntin broadheads. Right now I am shooting a GoldTip broadhead I don't really remember what it is called. It is like a mechanical but isn't a tru mechanical becuase it has 2 fixed blades on it too.
Well my question is, should I use one that I have killed somethin with,(which isn't much lol) shot in the ground, shot into a target, or should I use a brand new sharp one?

Thanks
Renobber

Sharp blades are always good. I suggest a new one or at least touch up the old blades and make them so they can cut.

I like the Spitfire Gobbler Getters,which have sharp expandable blades,but have a blunt tip for extra shock.Seems to be a good combination,which works well.

Doah!
doah.gif

Forgot to put down my bird combo this spring. I am switching back to aluminu(just for turkeys only) and putting some 4 bladed 100 grain Rocket Hammerheads on the end of some Easton Super Slam 2314 broomsticks. The heads have a 2 inch cutting diameter both ways and with the kinetic enerty put out by the 2314's I should be in business.

I have a bunch of old aluminums, I know they are eastons, would I have to re sight my bow or anything? this is my first year of bowhunting for turkeys, I don't know why I am even going I told myself last year they just piss me off but it is somethin to hunt. What does the Aluminum arrow do?

Nobber

Nobber,
You don't need to change your set up at all. The one you have will work just fine...I use the hammerheads on the front of my deer arrows. No need to switch anything up...if anything I would suggest you get three of the hammerheads or some other quality expandable with a large cutting diameter.

The broadheads I have now are the Gold Tip Gladiators, They have a 1"1/2 cutting diameter, I am thinkin about either gettin a pack of three of those or I might try those hammerheads, I am shootin a Buckmasters G2 with GoldTip xt 5575s, I was also wondering if the turkeys would be able to pick out my white fletchings and white wrap?

Thanks
Renobber

Your set up is fine. I like to have at least 1.75 to 2 inches of cutting diameter but if you don't want to buy new broadheads an 1.5 should work fine.

Will they see your white fletch and wraps. Yes, unless of coarse you are in a blind. I would either change to camo colored vanes or buy a cover for your vanes.

I think I might just take my wraps off and refletch to a darker color and I think I might get those broadheads, how much do they run a fella? they look like they could do some damage. Do you use those for deer too? Rocket looks like they make some broadheads that can leave quite a wound, they had one that could cut up to 3 inches that is just crazy, I would think that the blades would break being that big. will the turkey usually fly after you shoot it and go quite aways, I have heard of people using strings or somethin, but I just plan on being able to shoot them where the corn goes in so it shouldn't matter......lol ya right

Thanks
Nobber

I am shooting NAP scorpions and Jak hammers for deer and have had good luck. On turkeys the more damage you can do the better.

When you hit them, if it is a good hit they will not go far, they are tough as nails and have had one glide 300 yards on me but found him dead.

I am not a fan of string trackers.

There is a great article that muddy stuck at the top of the page that has a lot of info on bowhunting these over grown chickens. Good Luck. I love bowhunting them.

thanks a lot for the info, me and a buddy of mine are going to try it this year, he had 2 shots last year and screwed them up, I gotta good feeling about it tho and I know where alot of turkeys are with a lot of creeks and cover to make a possible stalk on one, i might definately try those hammerheads and am pretty confident at shooting to 40 yards although I haven't practiced in awhile, but it is kinda hard when your bow is a 1000 miles away, good luck this spring and thanks again for all the advice, if you have anymore advice be sure to let me know, I might try to invest in an ameristep doghouse blind for my b-day in march if I can talk my ma or pa into it lol it sure is a lot cheaper than a double bull although they sure are nice thanks for everything

Nobber

I shoot the gold tip expandable and have had no problems. You should be good to go. Also Rudd had a double bull blind for sale a while ago, you may want tp pm him and see if it's still available.

Top Bottom