Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck or Doe?

spinefxr

PMA Member
Any advice on whether to use a buck or doe decoy this week? I was thinking of putting the antlers on the Carry-lite, but maybe leave them off?
confused.gif

Keep them off. Bucks will be more interested in a doe now than a buck. Make sure and use doe estrus underneath the decoy to fulfill the illusion of a doe in heat. Good luck.

I disagree. I had 130" 10 point destroy my buck carry-lite Saturday. The story is in the PMA section. It was an unbelievable hunt. No harvest, but a definite hunt to remember.

mole

i agree with mole..ive talked to several "experts" about this topic and everyone that i have asked has said to use a buck decoy...you have to remember that bucks are more interested in does...but they are also competing for breeding rights and if an unfamiliar buck is in a mature bucks territory i can gaurantee you that the mature buck is not going to be to happy about it. good luck.

I have to say that I disagree with your disagreeing with me, Mole
tongue.gif
. That was on Saturday, the rut may not have been in full swing on Saturday in your area. Saturday was most likely one of the last days of the pre-rut. I think too many people jump on the rut band wagon too early every year. Prime time to rattle should also be prime time to use a buck decoy since, in theory, you are trying to mimic the same thing and prime time for rattling is just prior to the rut. After that, when the rut kicks into gear, which can be very sudden (so Saturday may not have even been rut when your decoy was destroyed, Mole). A buck who is with a doe will most likely not leave a doe to come and fight a buck RIGHT NOW (in the heat of the rut). Yes, maybe he would've a couple days ago but this is the time of year where things change fast. You almost need to make a strategy plan on a calender down to the day for hunting deer, especially this time of year. If there is a high population of does in your area you will be even less likely to lure a buck away for a fight. Guys, you need to check out some of these books that can help plan out precise tactics down to the day like: [censored] Idol's "Hunting the four periods of the rut" and Some of Greg Miller's books. They do a good job of laying out chronilogical game plans which is important in this everchanging deer activity patterns of November. Good hunting. P.S. I want a darn good argument back from you guys on this one
cool.gif

I think you should compromise, and do it this way - leave the antlers off, and add a pair of testicles. That way everyone will be happy - even the kinky bucks.
smile.gif

That's what makes this site so great. All of the different opinions. I would say that the rut was and is in full swing in my area. Saturday I watched 7 different bucks chasing does. The chase phase was in full swing. I understand that the bucks are looking for does, but I have never personally had good luck with doe decoys. The live does tend to spook more with a rigid doe decoy in the field.

Bottom line is give it a try. If one doesn’t work for you then try the other. No matter what happens you can’t beat hunting over a decoy, its a rush!

Interesting idea camoman, can I buy those at any local archery shop or are they a special order item??
grin.gif

mole

Tried a doe decoy for the first time tonight and had a tremendous hunt. I had eight different bucks come to the decoy from 3pm until closing. I hunted from the ground also and most of the bucks came by no more than 10 yards from my position. What a rush! I'm sold on a decoy!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
If there is a high population of does in your area you will be even less likely to lure a buck away for a fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to say that's what was up where I was hunting. Hunted Wed. through last night. Saw a lot of bucks, from spikes up to decent 10 pts.

ZERO response to rattling. (past years I've rattled some lesser bucks in)

I know there's a doe surplus in this area. I think EVERY buck is gettin some this year.

Doing my darndest to harvest some does. All that's coming in range is small bucks.

I'll be back at it this weekend.

Top Bottom