Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Building a watering hole.

singlecoyote

Proud member of the IBA
Who has done this and how did you do it. I'm not wanting to line the hole with anything like plastic or rubber. Has anyone used a tractor and loader to do this? Would fall be the best time?

I put a water hole in this spring. First off if your soil doesn't have alot of clay in it, the water hole probably won't hold water. In that case here is what you can do. Call a well drilling company in your area and ask for Benseal. It comes in 50 lb bags. It's basically bentonite and it will seal the soil and hold your water. Dig your water hole with an excavator although a tractor might work but the excavator will do it much quicker. Then if needed, spread 5 lbs of benseal per sq. ft of pond space and pack it in and preferably cover it with some soil.
Ex. A 10'x10' water hole you will need 500 lbs of benseal or 10 bags. Also, pick a site that will get natural run off or it will take forever to fill up. Now is a great time to build one but it probably won't have much water in it until next fall. Good luck. STEVE

I had a small pond or watering hole dug about 2 years ago. My land is in Davis County where you can just about dig anywhere and have it hold water though. There is a heavy clay soil and so it holds water well. I had a bulldozer do the work and the pond draws a good amount of action.

My buddy and I put these in all the time. He digs them with a skid loader. Keep them in the woods (shaded) to minimize evaporation. The Benseal is an excellent idea (heard about it, but didn't know the name..Thanks Steveo)we have always lined them with heavy-mil plastic, then back-filled about 10-12" of dirt over the plastic, driving back over the dirt as you go to pack it down. If you don't backfill, the deer will punch holes in your liner!

It depends on your site, but they can fill up in a hurry. We've dug many about this time of year and had excellent hunting near them within weeks. You need one or two good rains is all. Its surprising how little water will attract deer. The key IMO is keeping them in or near security cover. And they get better and better close to the rut. We have even had deer come in the winter and paw at the ice, trying to get a drink...

Good luck!

i agree 100% with stevo...... I work at a well service business and i would have to say stevo put her right on the nose. We put in bottomless tanks and use 3 layers of plastic then seal it with bentonite. But like i said stevo has it covered......

Top Bottom