Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Butcher Shop

DOR

Life Member
Hey Guys!
I am in the process of building a new house and have a good sized 3 car garage that i plan on setting up for a deer butchering area in the back. I plan on moving form left to right. Here are my thoughts. One or two gambles with pollies on the far right side., then moving left some type of cheap countertop(not sure what kind yet) , a cutting station, a wrapping station and then a garbage. and lastly to the far left a chest freezer. What do you guys use? Any other ideas for setting this up? I know this is kinda a boring thread but the site has been pretty slow today.
Thanks
icon_chain.gif
icon_chain.gif
maniac.gif

oh yeah and then a fridge to thefar far left stuffed with
beerchug.gif
31045-cheers2.gif

DOR,
The only other thing I could think of is a stainless sink with running water. I think that would definately be a benefit. Oh yah, and a floor drain.
CRITR

rail system and meat hooks, hang your game like a true side of beef

I would hinge your work platform so it could be stored flat against the wall when not in use. And make sure it isn't to low. Man just a few inches can really make that back ache. Stainless steal would be a great surface as long as I am just talking.
waytogo.gif

I have been around a couple nice ones. Hot water is a must,a floor drain, if you can get stainless it's worth the money (try restaurant auctions) laminate countertops do not hold up to the water used in cleanup, the rail and hooks are nice as well as well as a small winch, plenty of overhead room is also nice a must.

10-4 Ironwood!!
I built mine about 5" taller than an average kitchen counter for the backache reason. I'm 6'1" so I needed a little extra heigth.

Leave a little extra room in case you make future purchases like a grinder, tenderizer or meat saw. These end up being a real nice additions if you plan on being your own butcher.

Pupster

a taller ceiling would be good that way deer hanging actually hang rather than have their head laying on the ground. maybe a loft area for the storage of excess toys...i mean hunting equipment.

Muddy, If you'd hang them "correctly" in the first place...head up, that isn't a problem.
waytogo.gif
busted.gif
Just kidding guy's, I hang mine head down also.
busted.gif
I'd think that a good commercial grinder would be a good idea. Wish I had one.

Sounds like a great setup, but I kind of like freaking out the neighbors by carrying hindquarters out from the grage. I wonder if that's why they're so nice to me..?

that was hilariouis.
30577-rotflmao1.gif
made my morning picturing some woman with bloody hands and such carrying a chunk of meat out of a garage. your neighbors probably think of you as my old college buddies when they first met me. i was sharpening a 9 inch blade in my dorm room with some metal blaring. NOW i realize why no one talked to me for a week

30577-rotflmao1.gif

You look like a bow hunter. What about a small walk in cooler to cool the meat in early bow season. My neighbor has one in his basement works great to cool the meat down and not worrying about the temp out side… Only cost me a cold twelve to use it.
beerchug.gif

a cooler would be awesome for early season, but sounds spendy. Stainless countertops would also be top notch.
waytogo.gif

As I posted earlier I just took for granted the equipment use on the job. A friend of mine just bought a 1000 watt grinder with sausage stuffer extras for around $120 at Northerner Equipment. That appears to beat the pants off other prices I've seen. Also smokes my wife KitchenAid with attachment. If you do a lot of meat the old arms get weary stuffing that second grind down that little hole.
tongue.gif

if you are looking for anything in the refrigeration let me know i can get it used or will keep my eye open for ya,

mike

Ironwood, The Kitchen Aid with the grinder attachment trumps the old hand grinder I was using. I was sneaky and put one on the wedding registry list. Someone was kind enough to help me out and buy it too.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom