Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cael Sanderson Leaves Iowa State

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
Last Friday, as many of you know, Iowa States head wrestling coach Cael Sanderson announced that he would be leaving Iowa State for a head coaching job with Penn State. I was and still am in disbelief about this decision.

Money seems to always be a factor in decisions like this, but I never thought Cael would be leaving for the reasons which he told Jamie Pollard (Iowa States Athletic Coordinator). Below is a qoute from Jamie Pollard (Iowa States Athletic Coordinator) about Cael's reason for leaving. This really irritated me.....here it is....

In the end, Cael said that he appreciated everything Iowa State and our fans had done for him but he believes winning a national championship will be easier at Penn State. He said the high school talent in Pennsylvania and surrounding states is the best in the country and the kids in that area grow up wanting to wrestle for the Nittany Lions.

Seems like a lame excuse to me? How much more money will he make at Penn State? I'm sure its not about winning a national championship.....its about the money, and I don't blame him. But don't make a lame excuse about how the talent is better in Pennsylvania and winning a national championship will be easier....:mad:

*The article can be found on the Cyclone homepage.

Any ideas on who the new coach will be?

GO HAWKS

Definitely didn't see that coming either. I like how he says it will be a better move for him and his family, and it isn't about the money....ok..... Penn State's athletic budget is over twice what ISU's is. Saying it isn't about the money is a total slap in the face of this school.

Its funny he told reporters that there is no bigger Iowa State fan than him.... obviously there are. Oh well. I never went to a meet anyway haha.

This is garbage, Jamie Pollard is a waste of space and needs to go b4 he ruins ISU athletics all together...First he fires McCarney who took them to the first bowl games in years, i Know it was a popular decision at the time but why do you fire themost succesful coach in our history, then loses Chizek. ISU basketball is in the dumps after losing a number of good coaches, i know Eustachy and Morgan ran themselves out of town to a point but it still adds to the pattern of failure Pollard is showing. Not sure if he is the AD who let Tim Floyd walk or not. As for Cael, heard that PSU athletic page shows 5 yrs $2.5 mil or $500,000/yr. If you are wondering T. Brands makes $150,000/yr w/ the Hawks but his staff is better paid than the ISU staff and much better coaches than the ISU assistants. PSU is getting a great guy and a good Coach. Unfortunately Cael is right when he says the PSU region is the hottest HS wrestling bed in the nation, IA MN and NE are good but we cannot compete w/ the numbers their larger cities put out. As for replacements I heard pry gonna be Chris Bono, former Nat. Champ @ ISU he is the current coach at UTC and he will bring Nate Gallick w/ him, antother former ISU all american whose bro will be a senior at ISU next year. Good Fit 4 ISU IMO.

He is not the one who let Tim Floyd walk, if anyone is was VanDeVeld. I can't express how upset I am about this situation seriously. I'm probably one of the most hardcore ISU fans, literally willing to fight someone for my college. I've met Cael and I can't believe he did this. But he also does have a good point, if you look at most of the wrestlers on a lot of schools' rosters, they're from Pennsylvania. This makes me upset to the point I'm seriously reconsidering naming my first kid Cael.

Got time to check out the salary, not sure if my info was wrong or what but salary is something like 120,00/yr for cael at penn state. Dont think Gable will leave his cushy job w/ the Hawks to return to GLORY w/ his alma mater.

$120,000 per year? The Iowa State Daily stated today that Cael was making $123,000 per year here at Iowa State!

Take a paycut to go to Penn State? I wouldn't think so.....but who knows.

$120,000 per year? The Iowa State Daily stated today that Cael was making $123,000 per year here at Iowa State!

Take a paycut to go to Penn State? I wouldn't think so.....but who knows.

If that's how it is then don't let the door hit ya on the way out! Abandonment is the only word I can come up with....(I think that's a word?)

yep, i missread it, caels quote is he will be making 10% more than his 120,000 @ isu. sorry for the misinformation.

good luck to him in his future endeavors, whatever the reason he left, i'm sure it was difficult... especially with his brother still wrestling there. funny how people jump all over a guy without knowing any specifics.

Hope my posts didn't come across as jumping all over him. I'm just disapointed he's leaving, thats all......He was a great coach for Iowa State and its just sad he's leaving, but obviously he has his reasons and I wish him luck @ Penn St. Hopefully ISU will find a great coach to take his place.

I thought this article shows his classiness*, but I still wonder if many of his wrestlers would try to follow him or not.
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/articles/2009/04/20/sports/wrestling/doc49ed383016d63939187944.txt

Last edited:
link didn't work.

i wouldn't worry about looking like you jumped all over him... i know i'd be hella mad if Brands left Iowa!

I would say that he left to go after a national championship more so than a pay increase. He is one determined guy and pretty much does whatever it takes to accomplish his goals. Obviously.

good luck to him in his future endeavors, whatever the reason he left, i'm sure it was difficult... especially with his brother still wrestling there. funny how people jump all over a guy without knowing any specifics.

Well said Muddy.
From everything I have heard he is a stand up guy.
I am sure he thought long and hard about his decision and
it was not very easy for him especially with his brother still there
and possibly losing a year of eligibility if he goes with him to Penn State.
I wish him the best of luck on his decision that was the best in his mind for
himself and his family.

I'm not much of a follower of college wrestling (basketball and football get most of my attention), but $120,000/yr seems incredibly low for a div. 1 head coach, is this the normal pay scale for wrestling head coaches?

Do you think of Gable as a Cyclone or a Hawk? I'm sure it was rough on Clones when he took the Iowa job.

Maybe years from now Penn State will be the ultimate powerhouse and Sanderson wearing cardinal and gold will be just a faint (fond) memory.

I'm a die hard Iowa wrestling fan but I also was alittle disappointed in seeing that Sanderson took the Penn State job.

I guess this will make the big 10 championship that much more exciting.

I was thinking Terry Brands would make a great coach for the Cyclones! Man, I would love to see this happen. What a rivalry that would be! :grin:

Top Bottom