Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

cold feet

mudingbuck

PMA Member
Whats the best sock to keep your feet warm and dry. I have tried all kinds of different socks and always just go back to a pair of thin hanes. Usually my feet sweat like crazy and then after sitting on stand for a while my feet start to get cold.

This year I switched to a polypropalene liner inside a quality wool sock and that did the trick for me. Liner wicked the sweat away and wool kept my feet warm.

I too have the same problem with sweaty, cold feet. Only thing that helps is to spray feet with a odorless deodorant and then smart wool socks. But they still get cold sometimes. Oh and i think i should buy toe warmers by the truck load.

I use fox river thermolite liner socks and gibrtar frontier socks. My feet stay dry and toasty. I have recommended these to other peopme and they did not work for one guy. They solved my problem and i guess that is the only proof I need.

I do a thin base layer of merino wool and a smart wool outer boot sock....really helped my feet over having a base layer of gym socks and wool over them. Even in the coldest weather we had this year it was tolerable. I won't lie to you and say I'm never cold....but the merino wool makes it bearable....and REAL cold I throw in a foot warmer pack in each boot.

I had the same problem. I bought a good quality boot, Lacrosse with I think 1500 grams insulation. Then I put on a pair of Woolrich wool socks. I put a toasty toe on each sock and then cover with an old pair of ragwool socks. My socks are loose and so are my boots. This combination has never let me down even in minus degree high wind weather sitting on the stand or in the snow. I have had hot feet when the temps get above 20. My problem was that my former boots didn't give my feet enough room to breathe. A boot 1 1/2 size too big is ideal for me. Hope this helps. Antiperspirant for the feet is a great idea but don't use the powder. The spray is the way to go. JMO

You could keep wearing the hanes and put on a pair.of.artic shield boot covers. Those are amazing.

I had the same problem. I bought a good quality boot, Lacrosse with I think 1500 grams insulation. Then I put on a pair of Woolrich wool socks. I put a toasty toe on each sock and then cover with an old pair of ragwool socks. My socks are loose and so are my boots. This combination has never let me down even in minus degree high wind weather sitting on the stand or in the snow. I have had hot feet when the temps get above 20. My problem was that my former boots didn't give my feet enough room to breathe. A boot 1 1/2 size too big is ideal for me.

Almost exactly what I do!:way:

I use fox river thermolite liner socks and gibrtar frontier socks. My feet stay dry and toasty. I have recommended these to other peopme and they did not work for one guy. They solved my problem and i guess that is the only proof I need.
I went to this combo this year and love it.

I use the cabelas deluxe cold weather socks along with 800 gram lacrosse alpha burly's. Really happy with this sock. If your feet do sweat, you still stay pretty warm. Once in a while I will toss in a foot warmer, but it has to be darn cold out for that.

As a stand hunter, what I've found that works prety well is a thin pair of socks to the tree, then change into one or two pair of quality socks depending on temperature. After a lot of trial and error, this is the best recipe for me.

Anyone try the battery powered insoles. My wife got me a pair for christmas. I have worn them walking, but not sitting. Supposed to get up to 100' under your feet,. Hope they work.

Always had cold feet. Went to one pair of wool socks and Thermacell heated insoles. The timing of when you turn them on seems to be the trick. If you wait too long, they will not catch up and make your feet warm. I normally wait until I am settled in my stand and then click them on high. Wore them last night and my feet were toasty. The rest of me froze, but my feet were perfect.

Those thermacell heated insoles look pretty nice. I do have a pair of the arctic shield boot covers and those things do help a lot as well.

Everyone is dead on on what socks to use. I still had trouble but finally bought a high quality (Meindl from Cabelas) non-insulated boot and my problems ended. I must just have too hot bloodied feet??

I fixed my cold feet issue this season after trying everything. While at the Deer and Turkey Expo I came across a booth selling Alpaca clothing. The owner educated me on Alpaca wool and convinced me to try a pair of the boot socks made for the outdoorsmen. Alpaca wool is very soft and feels great on your bare feet, does not itch. Alpaca wool is naturally wicking and does not require a second pair of socks to wick away sweat. They have a web site (www.sabambaalpaca.com) if interested in trying them, they are a little pricey, but well worth the investment. One of the best hunting gear purchases I've made. My next purchase from them are the long johns. Hope this helps, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned alpaca.

Top Bottom