Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Colorado otc archery elk

NickJ

Anyone ventured out to Colorado to chase elk with the bow? Where did you go? Planning on going in unit 14 east of Steamboat Springs. We are going to be hiking in and camping for 8 days. Any info on any otc units is greatly appreciated.

Good luck. Heading out that way myself soon. Only thing I can suggest is making a call to the local Forest Service office, if you have not already, to check on road closures and restricted areas due to logging beetle killed trees. We are having to make some changes to our plans after a phone call last week.

I think the date that the leftover tags went on sale has come and gone. There's still OTC tags left, but the better units available will have already been claimed.

14 is pretty good from what I know. I've got a friend that has hunted it. I think there have been a few fires there within the last 10 years or so that should be good now. There are some wilderness areas there, and from what I know... going high should be the way to go that early in the season... so long as the weather cooperates.

Thanks for the info...going to be making a phone call later to check out closures. I have heard that unit 14 can be very crowded and hard to get away from the crowds even if one is to get in deep. It seems like it would be that way in most otc units out there, just figured we would take our chances with 14 being that it has one of the largest herds in Colorado.

I am having trouble finding a map that shows all the trails...jeep,logging,hiking etc. Just wondering where I can find a map of this sort. I have a large topo map of unit 14 but I doesnt seem to have what I am looking for.

There are some nice elk there, but like WI for deer.....since there aren't many restrictions on bow tags, there are a lot of people. He who works the hardest in the high country should be rewarded with opportunity....

Good area. There will be other hunters. Went last year during the last week of the OTC Archery Season and pretty much had multiple spots to ourselves. Don't be afraid to move units if necessary, stay mobile, and find the elk. Don't dwell on old sign.

Don't be surprised if you get into elk. ALWAYS have the wind in your favor.

I too will be heading out on my first DYI Colorado Elk Hunt. I will be hunting in Unit 86 with Archery Equipment. I am going in with low expectations and an outlook on enjoying the entire experience of hunting out West. Should be a lot fun. Sounds like I picked a pretty steep unit with some great potential. I will be hunting with a Colorado resident, although he will have a rifle bear tag. Should be a good time. Good luck to all!!

Top Bottom