Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn based Distillers

ShedderKG

Does anyone know if deer would like corn based distiller feed? It has almost twice the amount protein than corn and is quite a bit cheaper. Any input fellas??

How would you get it? You cannot just drive your pickup into an ethanol plant and have them load you. I would think you would have to find a farmer who gets it and make a deal with him. I would say they would eat on it just as good as silage. Do you know what kind of cost it would be?

I have a good friend that has a couple hundred head of cattle and try have a TON of it and he mentioned maybe using that because it is cheaper. $150/ton.

I work at an adm plant and have talked to many people out there and most of them that i have talked to say no they wont because adm takes all of the nutrients out of it. I also have talked to hunters that say they have tried it for their trail cams and nothing as well. I was thinking the same thing because its so cheap for a ton of it, slap a name on it and i would have my own deer attractant and make my millions.

Deer eat it like candy. Its like 20-25% protien and high in fat. If adm took all the nitrients out of it cattle feedets would not feed it

I have heard the use it for a filler they dont just feed them that straight they mix it with a bunch of other crap.

Deer eat it like candy. Its like 20-25% protien and high in fat. If adm took all the nitrients out of it cattle feedets would not feed it

Agree. Good stuff for livestock feed value. High protein, high nutrients. Much better than corn. Not sure if the deer eat it... never tried it

There is lots of information on distillers grains on the internet if you are worried about the feeding value of it - attached is one.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/as-fact/distillers.html

They are used as far more than just a filler. They are a byproduct of the ethanol production industry. During the fermentation process to produce ethanol the bacteria use the carbohydrates (starch) in the corn to produce ethanol. Leaving behind and concentrationg the fat, protein, and fiber - all valuable nutrients.

Just like any other feed component they are not a complete feed and don't provide all the nutrition an animal would need, but neither does whole corn or whole soybeans. That being said using corn or distillers grain as simply an attractant to get pictures of deer will not provide a significant portion of an animals diet. My suggestion is to put some out and see if they like it better than whole corn - then you can all let us know.

I work at an ethanol plant.. I make the wdg and ddg (wet/dry). I have used them both for deer, just to change it up.. the fact is, we cant beat the deer out of our dry building!! 10-30 deer hang by the door at any given time during the night. They love it! And to u who work at adm... u guys must do something else with all the leftover sugars???

If u ever get a chance, lick ur finger and taste the dry product. Its not half bad! I don't advise doing so with the wet feed tho.. lol

I'm sure if u went to your local e plant and asked... they would prob sell u a couple 5 or 7 gallon buckets worth of it for a good price... and the syrup is what is to die for!! That's what has all the sugars in it that makes the wet and dry feed soo damn irresistable!!:) if u put some of that out you might just wanna sit on the road and watch the show for a couple nights.. I had 25 deer every night for a week on my pile..

Every so often, ill dump all of my sample waste from our dryer/cf/syrup tank into a 7 gallon bucket and mix it up real nice.. but I only use that at the same location every time cuz otherwise id have 2' holes everywhere lol

Dry Distillers=Deer Candy

JRudd is right if you are ever aroung DDG's it smells good/sweet and taste kinda of the same. Deer will storm to that stuff like crazy, I wasn't feeding corn or anything on my place, but have 5 acres of beans/wheat/clover and deer were pouring off my place into open pasture to get DDG's that the land owner was dumping for them.

Check local feed mills, ours sells it by the ton, but will bag smaller amounts. They charge a $1/bag on top of the feed cost to bag it.

We carry bags of it on hand and sells pretty quickly. Like the said, just call a local feed mill and ask if they carry it on hand.No one we sell to use it for deer but I could give it a try and let you know.

Thanks for the input guys. Friend of mine has couple hundred head of cattle and said I could just come grab some if I wanted to sometime but wanted to see if others have tried it before. From the sounds of it the ddg would be better than the wdg but he has wdg so I will try that and see what happens.

Deer tear it up....so do the coons. I used the dry distillers for a few years and it is a great for wildlife. Very sweet smelling too.

Top Bottom