Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

cows?

farmboy85

with the cows in my hunting spot area, will they scare the deers away? they recent put the cows there where I bow hunt at. its not my land.
there are two ponds, pasture, crop, and alot of timbers.

depends if they are in there all fall? where i hunt it is pastured from april/may till late september mid october. later in the year i hang cams along the fences to see whats coming by my stands, and even with the cattle they move thru. but in my case i have lots of woods around south, east, west and huge fields north and my hot spot is a ten acre chunk of crop ground almost surrounded by woods. bucks pass by my summer cams quite often but dont hang around, but the doe do. and where there are doe there will be bucks in the fall i believe.

Well, it sure wont help much for velvet pics. They will probably run them in the timber/pasture all summer, then move them to cornstalks in the fall, so the deer will move back to the timber in the fall. After the cows are done there will be nothing but timber cover for the deer, no browse, but they should still use it. They probably do it that way every year. How was the hunting last year? If you are running cameras, just stick to the rowcrop areas for the summer, then move to scrapes in the timber after the cows are moved. If they have a choice the deer will always be where the cattle are not.

Deers doesn't likes cattle much. They avoids em and I'd be bummered if they is in my hunting spot for sure. Buts, there be still a great chance a good old bucks will be in theres. I'd for sure not give up. Hurts the habitat the worst for sures, less covers, less foods, etc's. Nots good but sures a great chances if you hunts it right and figure where the deers r in that timbers & where the best bedding is and where they feeding or traveling in timbers. Good luck!

Deers doesn't likes cattle much. They avoids em and I'd be bummered if they is in my hunting spot for sure. Buts, there be still a great chance a good old bucks will be in theres. I'd for sure not give up. Hurts the habitat the worst for sures, less covers, less foods, etc's. Nots good but sures a great chances if you hunts it right and figure where the deers r in that timbers & where the best bedding is and where they feeding or traveling in timbers. Good luck!
that hurted my brains to read

I went there today to take a look. All I see like 10 cows and few calves on huge pasture land (80+ acres), there are two sides because the crop is in the middle.
I found the deer trail so I set it there and see what I got. On the way back to my truck, I found a two points antler on the ground.

with the cows in my hunting spot area, will they scare the deers away?

NOPE...

73459_469561634608_7706465_n.jpg

& NOPE...

306485_10150395810614609_1398582464_n.jpg

Both came directly out of a cattle pasture... Any more questions? :way:

I used to hate having to hunt around cattle... but, now it doesn't bother me quite as much. I will say the early season hunting SUCKS because the cows eat all of the browse and acorns, so the deer are forced to other areas where the acorns are plentiful and where they can find standing crops... Once the rut hits, bucks like to get doe's in the cattle pastures because; 1. They are easier to chase in the "open", and 2. The little bit of timber that the pasture does provide is enough to make them feel secure.

Years ago I used to hunt a place that had everything going for it except that there were cattle on it. Generally speaking, the presence of cattle will negatively impact deer activity on a given farm, however, it is not the end of the world by any means. (Airassault already gave great advice AND proof that cattle present does not wreck everything.)

The place I used to hunt had a very strong deer population in the area and while there wasn't as much normal daily deer activity on this farm as there would have been if there weren't cattle, when the rut started it became a go-to spot because of how it laid out and connected to other properties. I had to learn this over a few years and many hunts though.

As it turns out, I usually wasted my time early in the season when the cattle were in the timber often and the deer weren't. But, I had two killer stands for the rut and the cattle did not impact them at all, but I was targeting traveling deer, not homebodies. Still to this day, the biggest buck I ever had within bow range was on this farm. He was trailing a doe and like Airassault said, he was essentially dogging that doe out into an area where there wasn't any competition from other bucks.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
All the deer vacate one of our farms every fall when cows are put in. They still travel through but they dont bed there as much. Trail cams proved it really well last year. Tons of deer pics all the way up until i got my first cow picture. Usually around november is when the cows are put in. After that no mature buck pics and even the local does i was getting pictures of seemed to vanish.

If you read that in a pirate voice, it makes perfect sense. ARRGGHHH!!

Cow pasture

What he said, I think?

They do not like cows, but may tolerate them in some areas. In MN they do not like to bed in pasture, but I see more deer in pasture in Iowa than MN. Not sure why? Could be that pasture in Iowa often has cedars within it?

Pasture that has been allowed to grow up naturally after the cows are out, is outstanding bedding in 3-6 years!

I looked at the map of farm/pasture/timbers land where I will hunt at. there is a spot southwest corner with big open crop land and timbers on the other side. I dont think the cows will go through the timbers all way to the corner because its so bush and weeds. I will check it out next time when I go there.

I looked at the map of farm/pasture/timbers land where I will hunt at. there is a spot southwest corner with big open crop land and timbers on the other side. I dont think the cows will go through the timbers all way to the corner because its so bush and weeds. I will check it out next time when I go there.

:D Cows will go thru anything !! I hunted a farm in Ill. that had the most godawfull multiflora rose you could imagine! I literally had to get done on my hands and knees to get thru the tunnels the cattle had made thru it!!

AIRASSAULT said:
NOPE...

& NOPE...

Both came directly out of a cattle pasture... Any more questions? :way:

I used to hate having to hunt around cattle... but, now it doesn't bother me quite as much. I will say the early season hunting SUCKS because the cows eat all of the browse and acorns, so the deer are forced to other areas where the acorns are plentiful and where they can find standing crops... Once the rut hits, bucks like to get doe's in the cattle pastures because; 1. They are easier to chase in the "open", and 2. The little bit of timber that the pasture does provide is enough to make them feel secure.

Helluva shot on the second buck! Slight quartering away. What broadhead?

Guess it depends how many cattle in the pasture and where they like to be. I like them in timber to make paths then pull them out :)

Top Bottom