Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote Calling

bplate

I am just curious on how some of you do your calling sequences and setups this time of year with mating season going on. When are you having the best luck mornings or evenings etc. Thanks

Evenings usually for me, but that is when I do most of my call. I start with a dominate male bark and howl, then to a rabbit squeal, with a few barks here and there.

Ive been having the best luck after dark. Hammered 2 and missed a fox Saturday night. Rabbit distress sounds.

With these cold temps anytime of the day works well. I called one in on Sunday at 1pm. I then tried at dusk and under the full moonlight had one group hang up a couple hundred yards out and another set that wouldnt cross the river to get to me and I didnt have a clear shot at them. They are usually a little more skittish on public ground though.

As far as calling goes, I will start out with some kind of distress call, then if that don't work start going to lone howls, if that doesn't get a response then I will either go back to distress or a nasty sounding mt. Lion in heat sound that pretty much sounds like a cat backed up into a corner growling, then I will go straight back to group howls to get try to get them fired up and come in for the attack. Suprisingly it has worked for me.

If I hear them howling though when I arrive to my spot, I usually try to get close as I can, then start out with coyote vocals.

I generally start with a rabbit distress for 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes that gets them. If it doesn't, I like to group howl for about a minute. That will usually make them howl back and sometimes come in. With mating season starting now. I will use Ki Yi's and fighting coyote yips to imitate two dogs fighting over a hot female(Kinda like rattling during the rut). This works really well for me in January and February! I just killed three the other night in just two different sets! It is definitely a blast when it works!

Just wish they were worth a little more. I took 7 coyotes to my fur buyer tonite and only got $60 for the lot.

Top Bottom