Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

coyote or fox sightings?

A wolf that was that was tag in michigans u.p. was shot buy a guy in Missouri that thought it was a dog after some livestock in his yard.
That happen the last year or two.

Nonres, The last I read about it was 2 weeks ago. It was shot by Spalding Ne. The feds are now involved as wolves are protected in the United States. According to the article I read, DNA testing isn't very conclusive when it comes to wolves vs. dogs. They are bassically the same animal. Tests were being conducted in California for other clues to it's breed. Things like condition of claws, stomach contents, etc. If it turns out to be a wild wolf the guy that shot it could be in a HEAP of trouble.

If I'm after the fox or coyoty for the pelt ,I use my 17cal it doesn't rip up the fur. If I am walking for them I use my semi auto 223 or my 10ga with 4 buck. They came out with a 17cal rimfire now that would work good for close range and wouldn't hurt the pelt. I use a electronic call and I also have a couple hand calls. It also works good to use the little sqeeky that comes out of some dog toys. Good luck.

I did some checking and a tag and radio collard wolf was shot in grundy county,Missouri nov.2001.The wolf was tag in Ironwood,M.I. some 450 miles from where it was killed.
I just thought somebody might find it interesting.
wavey.gif

I saw a really nice gray fox this afternoon. It was on my work bench.
grin.gif
A little freezer burn on the ears but I'll make a nice pedestal mount.

I also have a great Weatherby .243 for sale.
It has anchored more than a couple yotes. Always use enough gun! You may see a wolf!

I like the 6mm's heavy bullets buck the wind better at longer ranger and the 243 or 25-06 keep you from following blood trails on the not so perfect shots. They can also double as great pronghorn and deer guns. As for holes in the hide odds are a larger hole will be made fleshing than the bullet hole. I can plug my .243 exit holes with my pink finger. Unless you get NO exit there is little else to be gained. A hole is a hole for the most part. it's not the end of the world. For the most part buyers use them as an excuse to pay you less.
There are some good semi auto's out there but you really pay for the most accurate of them. A good scope speakes for it's self. Burris has treated me good.

hey scout

That's the 2nd grey fox I've heard of in Jackson County. If you don't mind my asking did you get him/her with a gun or did you trap it?? Just curious is all. Are they about the same size as a red?? Smaller is what I hear. That's cool that you're getting it mounted, right now I'd settle for seeing one of 'em or a bobcat. Maybe my friend and I'll get lucky when we do some calling this weekend.

I shot a coyote from my bowstand this year and buddy shot a fox carrying a oppusum in it's mouth with his bow also. He uses a raccoon cover scent and he said that when that fox cut his raccoon trail he did a 180 and ran that track right to his tree. That fox must have been feeling pretty frisky to take on a coon.

My deer hunting group shot 5 of them this year.

If you are interested in seeing a lot of coyotes and possibly winning a prize you should look into the coyote contest they have at Ozzie's Sporting goods in Decorah,Ia.

muddy,

The gray was trapped by a neighbor and I took it in as a partial trade for mounting his deer. We have alittle more timber in Jackson
Co. then the surrounding area, so the grays tend to do a little better. They stick to the timber because the coyotes will run them down and kill them if they see one in the open. So not many around. This is a Lg one. Shame on me but I caped it for a pedestal mount rather than a full mount. Bear rug and full mount coyote waiting to be done.
Grays are very cool looking mounts. The ears are some what less likely to slip than on a red but still a problem. OK, I'm off subject.

Blasted a coyote while out pheasant hunting this year. My brittany went on point on a pile of switch grass, went in and kicked around and 8" in front of my brits nose I get a "thump" At first I thought I kick my dog by accident and then all of a sudden the bush explodes. There goes a big yote with my brit right on his tail, doing his best to get him himself. Well my dog gets him turned and as he's running by (10 ft away) I nail him with my 12 gauge. He rolled twice got up and ran into a culvert. My brit of course wanted to go after him but there was no way I was going to let him in after a wounded yote. Went back the next day and found the yote on the other side of the culvert with his lower jaw and most of his neck gone. Needless to say he was dead as soon as he went into that culvert.

Here's part of the News Release that is going out to newspapers on the wolf killed by Spaulding Ne. That I posted about awhile back. The pic is in this topic. I'm surprised, I thought is was a hybred.

ANIMAL KILLED BY COYOTE HUNTERS NEAR SPAULDING IDENTIFIED AS A GRAY WOLF

Lincoln, Neb. A large canine killed by a group of coyote hunters near Spaulding Dec. 15, 2002, has been identified as a pure gray wolf.

An investigation conducted by the National Wildlife Forensic Laborartory in Ashland, Ore., confirmed the animal originated from a population of wolves found in Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Shovel

Did the F&G give the wolf back to the guys who shot it or keep it themselves? Is it illegal to shoot wolves in Nebraska?

Sorry Muddy, I should of posted the entire article. Here's the whole thing. This is all I know for now.........<http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/ubb/icons/icon1.gif> posted March 26, 2003 02:11 PM [Profile for Sean] [Edit/Delete Post] [Reply With Quote] Here's the News Release that is going out to newspapers on the wolf killed by Spaulding.

ANIMAL KILLED BY COYOTE HUNTERS NEAR SPAULDING IDENTIFIED AS A GRAY WOLF

Lincoln, Neb. A large canine killed by a group of coyote hunters near Spaulding Dec. 15, 2002, has been identified as a pure gray wolf.

An investigation conducted by the National Wildlife Forensic Laborartory in Ashland, Ore., confirmed the animal originated from a population of wolves found in Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin.

"This is the first confirmed occurrence of a wolf in Nebraska since the early 1900s," said Richard Bischof, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission's furbearer and nongame mammal program manager. "We occasionally receive reports of possible wolves in Nebraska, but it is sometimes difficult to positively identify a wolf-like animal. Wolves and domestic dogs are the same species and readily inter-breed, resulting in wolf-dog offspring."

Bischof said there are an estimated 300,000 captive wolves and wolf-dogs in the United States.

Wolves are native to Nebraska, according to Bischof, but they became extirpated due to destruction of their food source and the widespread use of poison, traps and shooting for fur harvest and population control. Recent efforts to restore wolves to part of their former range in the United States may result in further occasional immigration of individual animals or small groups into Nebraska.

"The Commission does not support the artificial release of wolves or wolf-dogs into the wild in Nebraska and has no wolf reintroduction plans," Bischof said.

The dead wolf was confiscated by Conservation Officer Robert Kelly and then transferred to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) for examination.

FWS Office of Law Enforcement Special Agent Mark Webb said a criminal investigation is currently being conducted to determine the circumstances leading to the animal's death.

Gray wolves have recently been down-listed by the FWS from "endangered" to "threatened" status, and are protected by the Threatened and Endangered Species Act and by Nebraska state law which make it unlawful to take a gray wolf.

Webb can be reached at the FWS Office of Law Enforcement's Lincoln Office at 402-476-3747.

Sounds like they could be brought up on charges then?? That would suck. Chances are that it was accidental, them thinking it was some weird cross between a dog and 'yote. BUT, it would be hard to not wonder when you saw the size of that thing. Compared to that 'yote it looks like a horse!!

Since nobody has the balls to say it I will.

If you can't tell the difference between a coyote and a wolf that is within shooting range you should not be allowed to carry a weapon or have a hunting license.

If the wolf was preying on livestock it got what it deserved. If not, the criminal poached it.

DC - I agree. It's almost like the occasional Iowa moose or elk that gets mistaken as a deer. Get real!

I tried to edit my post as I used incorrect verbage and was unable to. In my last sentence, please replace 'hunter' with 'criminal'. True hunters do not poach.

DC, thanks for pointing out the editing functionality. I will be sure to make changes to insure it works in the near future.

Thanks for everyones patience during our software upgrade.

Top Bottom