Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote trapping advice & NOT CATCHING DEER! Old dog learning to catch dogs

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Got a pile of traps. Got setting them up pretty well dialed in & most spots figured out…. Where I see them cruise often & see fresh tracks & intersections. Dirt hole sets with bait.
One big issue I got… anything I’ve put in the holes…. Deer come in sniffing & step on traps. I literally caught a deer that had to be in there for multiple minutes before getting out.

Tried it a few years ago with snares. Low to the ground & in holes or of woven wire fences. GUESS WHAT?!?! Somehow managed to catch deer!!!!!!! Insanity.

So…. I’m freaked out as can be on catching deer. They setting my traps off like crazy. All sorts of baits. They stink like crazy so I get it. Stupid deer are curious.

Ok- my mind is going here….. & tell me what u guys think. In a way to avoid deer…. I have no idea if anything worth while…
1) set up in an open type brush pile that deer don’t like going into- really thick stuff.
2) under cedar trees with some lower limbs cut off. I figure I’d pry catch more bobcats that way though.
3) I do have creeks through farms that coyotes run like crazy. Thinking I could find spots on banks & do holes & pick areas that a deer would be unlikely to get into.
4) using different bait???? Less stinky stuff???? Like parts of chicken??? Or some ground beef or something? Or mice ???

I need help here…. I have PTSD on catching deer BUT I’m so dead set at making coyotes die- I’m gonna figure this out. Im a dumb dumb amateur new trapper begging for help & solutions!!!! Want them all dead. If no solutions…. I’m using napalm to burn my forest down.
Any help greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

When I’ve trapped high deer density areas, I tried to make my sets in areas where it was less likely for deer to be at. Was not a perfect solution, still managed to have a few sprung by deer.

In the 25 years I trapped I had one deer get caught in a coon set along a small stream. Don't know how long it took to get out but man it tore up the area. Very rare but it happens. Not sure how to avoid it 100%, they are curious animals.

Whats everyones "go to" for learning best ways to set? I want to up my game and dont think I am maximizing what I am doing. I dont have a tremendous about of time is why im hoping for some tips and secrets. Thanks

I am gonna try some “trench sets” …. Similar to dirt hole but probably a bit harder for deer to get in.
Some other ideas…. I got some pasture type areas and some super thin tree rows with very few deer. But areas coyotes cruise at night. I’ll try those too.

Go out a day or two after a good snow event. (my opportunity is going to start today through this week) Walk every fence line, creek bank(both sides), timber areas and any other cover one may have. Mark the locations of only coyote tracks in places that allow one to set a snare 12" high with 12" loop, with the cable attached high up a nearby tree or post. Pick only the best spots to set the snares that the deer don't use. The idea of under cedars and such is right on track. I dropped a tree over a small game trail and cut a hole in it that coyotes could easily pass. The deer went around, the coyotes went through the hole, partially anyways :) I have a cedar line that the coyotes and smaller critters use for a trail, caught doubles there. Put them in spots basically that deer won't go through. I realize this cuts down on lots of good looking spots but you'll catch coyotes in the other spots and have no trapped deer to haunt you.

Put in new snare in spot when you catch a coyote, rinse and repeat.

Are you using urine for lure by chance?
I did on a few traps. Most I did not. I had some “lure”. I figure urine was first thing to make sure I don’t add to sets.
I am gonna do only meat based baits. & I collect dead mice when catch em too. Meat & mice & stuff have to be the least attractive to deer I have to think!?!?! Stupid deer are so dang curious!!!

Also thought offset traps that are laminated might be best option too in case a deer stepped in one? Less chance for injuring their legs.

How close is your trap to the dirt hole? A step down trench set may be a good option. Urine or anything salty will attract deer. Have you tried flat sets?

I'd go with a classical conditioning system for deer.

If you put that scent on some charged fencing using aluminum foil, I bet it would condition them to avoid that scent for the most part.

I got tired of them running through my e-fence, so I put peanut butter in foil at intervals on the fencing so they could stop and get popped on the nose....never had much problem with torn down e-fencing after that.

Skip you need to get on trapperman forums, it is a wealth of information. Trapping coyotes is an art and there are some real masters on there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How close is your trap to the dirt hole? A step down trench set may be a good option. Urine or anything salty will attract deer. Have you tried flat sets?
Tried flat sets. Open to whatever. 8-10” away maybe?

Skip you need to get on trapperman forums, it is a wealth of information. Trapping coyotes is an art and there are some real masters on there

Been reading like a lunatic!!

There are still some good guys on there, but the best coyote guys are no longer there. The elite hang out at the lynx lair. Some have their ego.

If your population is that high a bait station in a crp field and snares on trails leading to it should work.

If your population is that high a bait station in a crp field and snares on trails leading to it should work.

Make sure the trails aren't straight, have bends in them so the coyotes don't pick them off. The snare will be broken up by the background grass. After you set them, step over and stay on the trail or they will follow you off to the sides.

Make sure the trails aren't straight, have bends in them so the coyotes don't pick them off. The snare will be broken up by the background grass. After you set them, step over and stay on the trail or they will follow you off to the sides.
Interesting, are you saying to walk right down the trail you're snaring instead of trying to avoid it?

Interesting, are you saying to walk right down the trail you're snaring instead of trying to avoid it?
Yes, they are just like us. If there is a tire track through some CRP that is packed down and rest is 18" deep, where are you going? Just step over snare and make the next one down the track. Most important is breaking up the outline, why I set on curves or bends.
If it was coon, middle of a trail, on mowed grass and they would go right through it with no blocking.

Top Bottom