Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbow Hunting.....

There is some good reading on the NABC (North American Bowhunting Coalition) website reference crossbows. For those unaware of this group it is rather new (just a couple of years) but, as the name coalition means, it's comprised of over 70 state and national bowhunting organizations. (The Iowa Bowhunters Association has been a member since its inception.) This coalition provides a united communication line for all the organizations, something that has been sorely needed for a long time.

Their website is: http://www.nabowhuntingcoalition.com. Click on "Bowhunting Issues" then scroll down to "Crossbows in Archery Seasons". There are several good reads there but, in line with one of this thread's topic, read "Modern Crossbow Test, Accuracy and Range Potential". It is an eye opener.

Iowa doesn't need ANY new "weapon specific" deer seasons.

I don't want crossbows in the regular archery season (except for the current handicap hunter situation).

I wouldn't have a problem with crossbows being a legal weapon during late muzzleloader season (even in view of the "slippery slope" argument that it might legitimize them for eventual inclusion in the archery season).

Recreational opportunity versus deer population management: a topic that pops into my mind when reading this type of thread. Is there a valid herd management reason to adopt more seasons/weapons or are we just creating more play time afield?

I guess I take the management side a little too seriously. And yes, nothing says a new policy can't embrace both.

You can use one here in either rifle or muzzleloader season. Our Sask bowhunter's Assoc. fought this yr to keep them out of the archery season. I never want to see them in the early Archery season but have no prob with them being allowed in the firearms season.

I still see the issue as having two sides. If you read crossbow sites, there are young healthy guys just as fervent about their crossbows, and why they should be accepted as a bow. A couple states have "let them in", this year and I think more will follow. We get so intense about this hunting activity, My way is better, yours is too easy,This is my land, you can't have any,,.I think everyone needs to take a deep breath,,,and keep perspective. We are just harvesting an animal, the Creator put here for a food source, and for everyone to enjoy. I don't want to become an elitist and look down my nose at anyone that hunts a bit different than me.

Top Bottom