Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cuddyback capture failed out of the box

iowathumper

I had 2 Excite cameras that were about 2 & 3 years old go out. They said they would upgrade to the capture for 81.00 each with shipping.

Received both last Friday and i always like to check them out first before going to the field.

The first one every 30 sec the flash would go off. Look at trouble shooting guide on there website and I formatted the card still does the same thing. Tried another set of batteries, still the same thing.

The other camera is working.

What happen to quality control over there, when it won't even work out of the box?

I have tried calling customer service for the last 2 days and you get in a loop, keep going back to the beginning.

This will be my last cuddy back purchase.

I have been trying to get through their phone system too. What a joke.

I have four captures and have taken tens of thousands of pics with them with never a problem at all. I worry about something ever going wrong since their company is such a pathetic joke.

You must have got sent one of the three we've sent back to them broke this summer... :D

Seriously though, they take AWESOME pics... when they work. And if they don't work they're a pain in the rear to deal with. Luckily we bought ours through Scheels and they have a little more power in sending them back to Cudde vs. an average Joe trying to return a cam... Scheels got us a new one back the first time... lets see if they can do anything for these two cams we had them send in now.

I never have had to deal with customer service but i love our cuddys we've been using them for 4 years and have added to them every year since with no real issues.. I'm especially a big fan of the new attack

I finally broke through... Someone will be with be shortly, it's been 20 min so far, and I'm still waiting.......

What kind of memory card are you using if you don't mind me asking?

I used to sell Cuddebacks when I worked in retail. Well I had a problem with my capture not taking pics, flash not working, etc. I got a hold of them and they told me to send it in. I did and got an call back saying that it worked fine. They asked what kind of memory card I was using and I told them PNY brand. They said that was the problem. The only cards that they recommend using in their cams are Sandisk brand or their own Cuddeback brand. Also, DO NOT use any card larger than 2G. I switched to a Sandisk 2G and I haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps.

=

This will be my last cuddy back purchase.

I agree, cuddies SUCK for how much they cost.
No, they suck period. :) I don't think I'd put one up if it were free. Why waste my time and get frustrated pull after pull?!?!?! And go through who knows how many D-size batteries every month, what a joke! I've used a ton of brands and Cuddebacks are Dinosaurs- extinct and things of the past. The thing that keeps them alive is their $ they put into advertising and buying folks to pimp their products. It's sure not the product themselves because if it were, they'd be bankrupt years ago. Cudde VS about 10 different cams I can think of... It's just not even close. Cudde's suck! And I was even "tame" with my opinion on this :)
Heck, beyond the GARBAGE cameras, add poor customer service!?!?! OH MY GOSH.... I have 3 brands of cameras that if I had to, I can just send in with a note, fill out a form & send in OR send an email to get a work order #. Cuddeback is shooting themselves in the foot with this poor quality monkey business and you can join thousands of others that ain't gonna buy another!

Last edited:
Sligh1, I have four captures and I have taken literally tens of thousnads of pictures of deer and bear with them and they not only take great pictures but they have great trigger speed and one set of D cell Duracells lasts for a whole fall season. I have never had issues with them. I just know how bad their customer service reputation is so I am holding my breath hoping I never do have a problem. I have used Stealth Cams, Moultires and a couple off brands and the Cuddebacks are the best I have used period.

i agree.. with iowa1.. I'm sure you can find lots of people who don't like many different types of cameras.. I for one cant stand moultrie and am not super pleased with bushnell trophy cams.

I want you guys to compare to 2011 BUSHNELLS, PRIMOS, RECONYX & COVERT to Cudde- I've used all 5 and there's a few I haven't used that my close friends claim are great (and better than Cudde which is easy IMO). That's just FOUR brands that I use (5 with Cudde and I've had 6 Cudde cams- ya, I know- MISTAKE) and we all know there's plenty of other good/new brands. Of course the model (no matter WHO we are talking about) makes a difference but there's just no comparison. I can't believe you guys have worked with the above 4 mentions AND Cudde's and still think Cudde's r the bomb? PLEASE compare, if you have, ok, I guess we just strongly disagree. :)

Last edited:
I've compared... which is how I have formed my opinion.. IMO night pictures do not compare between bushnell, primos, and moultrie. but to each his own :way:

I dont like to bad mouth any company on one bad experience with a product if they take care of it. I have had 3 different cuddyback cameras and all three are junk that they didnt stand behind. I dont know why I bothered to replace them with another. My next will be a reconyx. What happened to making a great product that lasts and customer service. Paul

I don't disagree that they take good pics, and the old cuddy I have has been great. The two capture IRs on the other hand are un reliable. I may have gotten bad apples I guess but I have went threw countless batteries and wasted time with them. Niether one will take more than about 200 pics without batteries going dead. I have used Duracell, Energizer, off brands all with the same result. Nothing worse that letting a cam set for a few weeks, go in to get it and only have 62 pics because "batteries failed.

Nothing worse that letting a cam set for a few weeks, go in to get it and only have 62 pics because "batteries failed.
OK- I will admit, I had ONE camera that was worse... an old stealth cam that u had to develop the film?!!? OLD, well, I actually kept with it for maybe 6 different times of hanging, checking and developing the film... Well, I didn't want that camera to go on and continue to piss me off (or find another camera & reproduce after a night of romance) so I threw it in the camp-fire long before a night of marshmellows and hotdogs, I made sure that camera was dead (yes, much like the bad guy in an action movie). Too bad Cudde's cost so much BUT I don't regard them a whole lot different.... Just more expensive kindling. :)

2 GB card, and it was a sandisk.

I talked with customer service finally last night after about 25 min hold. We walk through all the possiable fixs, and nothing worked. First time ever they told me to send in the card, and batteries I was using.

I do not beleive you got a whole year on 1 set of batteries. I am lucky to get 5 weeks out of one set.

I do not beleive you got a whole year on 1 set of batteries. I am lucky to get 5 weeks out of one set.

I've got a year on regular Duracell AA's before on a couple occasions. When I use the Energizer Lithium AA's - I get MORE than a year almost every time. This is in a whole bunch of different cams. I had 3 models of Cudde's and they all took D batteries... Big COST difference!!! And, even with D's, I had to change them MONTHLY usually. Do a little cost-analysis there!!!

Top Bottom