Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Darn Rain!

huntingkid

Well this morning i got behind the camera for my dad this morning.
At 6:45am he stuck a nice 150-160 class 9 point. It was a 30 yard quartering away shot with his crossbow. The arrow never passed through but there was lots blood with some white hair 5 yards from where he was hit? He took the arrow with him for about 10 yards, the blood was in piles really bright red. We got down at 8:00am to look and at that time is started raing a little so we started following the blood. Got about 40 yards and it started down pouring and started washing the piles away. Went 5 more yards and the rain had the blood washed right away. Searched the surrounding for a good hour and a half and nothing but a soaked coat. So bummed it was a good buck and only if it didnt rain.

If your only going to look for an hour and give up then you shouldn't be hunting anything. You and your dad and anybody else you can get ahold of need to give that buck 3-4 hours and go find him. This isn't a shoot and release program, he has a crossbow bolt in his ribcage he's dead somewhere, might be a bad deal thatb rained but the deer isn't going to wash away In the rain. The blood might, but put the effort into finding it

If your only going to look for an hour and give up then you shouldn't be hunting anything. You and your dad and anybody else you can get ahold of need to give that buck 3-4 hours and go find him. This isn't a shoot and release program, he has a crossbow bolt in his ribcage he's dead somewhere, might be a bad deal thatb rained but the deer isn't going to wash away In the rain. The blood might, but put the effort into finding it

Agree 100%!! Get out there!

Deer deserves some more effort big buck or a doe. Get after it......

Mobile Cooter using IW

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I am not going to beat you up anymore than you already have been, But Get after it man? If I were close I would Help. Go Find your Dads Deer Please.

Headed back out at 2 with my dad the land owner and this buddy to look. What would the white hair be from I was just wondering? Either the neck or belly right?

Headed back out at 2 with my dad the land owner and this buddy to look. What would the white hair be from I was just wondering? Either the neck or belly right?

Yes, white hair is usually from the belly. Usually will see if on steep angled shots and low shots.

You said 30 yard shot so I assume the angle couldn't have been that steep. How far up the tree were you?

Completely white? I have seen white hair with the tips brown on deer like an under coat of a dog. A lot of guys say look white hair must be belly. Look at it closely that could be the case.

Mobile Cooter using IW

If you were filming it idk why your not reviewing the footage. Seems fairly obvious the footage will tell ya how good/bad the shot placement was.

Huntingkid,

Were you able to see on the video where you hit? Hopefully you found him, but if not that could be a big help.

The rest of you fellas should get off of you're high horse and realize you may be talking to a fairly young hunter. Constructive Criticism however is a good thing.

gundog870 said:
Huntingkid,

The rest of you fellas should get off of you're high horse and realize you may be talking to a fairly young hunter. Constructive Criticism however is a good thing.

x2

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Kracka said:

Oh the great Kracka has spoken.

No one was attacking here.

You don't think more effort was needed?

Good luck I hope you find him :way:

Mobile Cooter using IW

I am glad someone finally drew you a picture so you were able figure out that I am the great Cracka. :D

At any rate, I agree with you much more effort than described is required even on some of the best shots we make. Just defending the difference between IW and IO.

** And maybe the previous posts weren't as rough as I originally thought.

My horse is pretty high when it comes looking for wounded animals. Young or old. It probably took longer to get the stands up and trim lanes than spent looking for the animal. Complain about people shooting shed bucks come late season with a gun. But ohh " you put a bad shot on a buck with a bow, that's ok, keep your head up and get back out there" makes me sick. I don't care if it takes you a week and you burn the whole farm out leave no stone unturned. I've done it. In 2010 I hit a buck high in the shoulder. Looked like crazy, saw him late muzzy season carrying one antler. Picked up both sheds and have him on camera for the last 2 years. Atleast I know he is alive and well. We all owe it to the animals we pursue to recover them, it's not always as easy as it seems. A buck with a crossbow bolt inside his ribcage isn't going to survived.

Top Bottom