Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoys

Good question....

The first tom took I only had two upright hen decoys out but also had a live wild hen working around the set up.

The three toms came straight to the two upright decoys, but the live hen was in taller grass.

Sense then Ive always used a variety of dekes.

I dont think upright hen decoys looks like a turkey that is on full alert (neck stretched strait up in the air) so I dont think they will spook a tom.

Sooo I dont really have a cut and dry answer but imo a variety would be the best bet.

I don't think it always matters. There are times when a turk would come in and strut for a black garbage bag. But the times it might matter, a feeder is important. If I am going to use a single hen or a jake with a hen, I will use a feeder. I always have feeder in a "spread" for realism purposes. I think it tells approaching turkeys that its all good.... then you can shoot em in the teeth :D

I have personally liked to have 2 feeders an upright and then a full strut tom or jake. Now that I have finally took the plunge and purchased DSDs I can only afford to have one feeder, one upright and a jake.

If I had to choose I would always go with a feeder over an upright hen decoy, however, I always set one of each. On the flipside - as mentioned - there are times when they will come in no matter what. I don't think you can go wrong with a feeder though. It gives your setup a sense of realism and lets any approaching birds that are going to commit know that everything's ok. Just my opinion.

-Longspurs-

I have personally liked to have 2 feeders an upright and then a full strut tom or jake. Now that I have finally took the plunge and purchased DSDs I can only afford to have one feeder, one upright and a jake.

The one feeder, one upright, and one jake is the ticket. :way:

My feeder is a Buckwing which has some motion. I plan
on getting a DSD feeder this spring but if I don't I do not think
it will matter anyway. Every turkey I had come in went straight
to the DSD jake or the DSD upright.

They totally completely ignored the Buckwing every time.

Yes they will come into a garbage bag at times but to get them right in close (for bowhunting) and for an extended period of time the DSD is the only way to go.

If I were to put out 4- 5 hen decoys 1 would be an upright and the rest feeders. If you watch a turkey flock most are feeding while there is 1 or maybe 2 sentries at the most. I agree with the 1 feeder, 1 upright/semi-upright, and 1 jake theory.

Top Bottom