Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoys?

i just shot two toms yesterday over Primos B mobile and two she mobiles.Y? because they work and are cheap.

My B-Mobile jake "Stubs", and a feeder hen, breeding hen, and upright hen.

Stubs.jpg

I pretty much us the same setup everytime with

a few modifications.

I put the DSD jake 5 yards from my blind facing me.

The DSD upright hen is 5 yards to the left of him.

THE DSD feeder I put at ten yards behind all of them.

The breeding hen I put in front of the DSD jake.

The jake is usually the one they will come to the most, so when they

come in to check him out they usually come in front of him to get eye to eye

to him everytime. This takes his line of vision off of me so I can draw.

The upright hen usually comes into play because they sometimes try to breed her.

Both are at five yards so if they stay out of range at ten I still have a shot.

The feeder is at ten so I know not to shoot past that point with my Bullheads and

I can put a jak-hammer in. Both my upright and feeder have movement to also add

realism.

Hope it is not too confusing. My batteries in my camera went dead when I was trying

to download a picture of the setup.

Try not to use a decoy any more. Had a DSD and never had much luck with it so went to just calling and am having some awesome hunts. A little more back to nature thing. Good luck.

Ya do what works! I think there may be a little difference!! I had a hen peck the hell outta DSD hen decoy and leave the bobblehead alone 3 ft. from here like it did not exist!! If it looks real to you.......it looks real to them!!! Good decoys cost!! The cost will make a difference!!:way::way::way:

I picked up one of the new PB Jr Semi Strut Jakes at Gander Mtn for $40 and so far have seen 6 toms run right up to it and want to open a can of whoop ass on it. 4 last Friday morning and 2 this morning. In both cases a bird died. :) Only thing different about it is the neck posture, the paint job isn't quite as perfect as a DSD but it cost $120 less than a DSD and so far have had great results with it. Had it positioned over a PB breeding hen and 2 $8 roll up foam hens not far away and every bird that has seen the set up has come in on a string. Total cost is about $75 for the spread - $450 in decs in DSDs for the same set up is outta my price range. Round 3 in the morning - finally my turn - in the snow!

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
I use a half strut jake, a feeder hen and an upright hen each and every time. The birds never come to the hens it seems. I used to think that a bird facing the blind was the best bet but 90% of the birds that come in approach from behind. I almost believe facing away would be the best bet. I have had two toms mount my jake now.

Cooter said:
Too many to list.............

-}}}---------->

So if you're trying to prove what a badass you are again, why not list your points so we can all learn from the all mighty Cooter and hopefully gain some understanding of how it is that you became such an outdoor wonder?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Noted. Just seemed you were wanting to have a pissing match again and I was game. :)

No worries.

So I'm just asking - if 2 products worked equally well under most conditions and one product cost a 1/4 of the other you would still buy it just because
it was made in the USA? I'm all about supporting this country too (12 yrs Air Force, volunteer FD, buy American whenever I can) but at some point I draw the line when it just doesn't make sense (to me).

Good luck man, don't put too much thought into these birds - they really aren't that smart - plus you all get 4 weeks to kill them!! It will happen.

Thanks guys for your replies. I am having a challenging season with many birds hanging up. Was looking for some input on what others do with their decoys. Have called in many birds but they wont commit that final 100 yds.

Thanks guys for your replies. I am having a challenging season with many birds hanging up. Was looking for some input on what others do with their decoys. Have called in many birds but they wont commit that final 100 yds.

Do you have movement in your spread? I used to have that problem to until I added movement to my spread.

Shoot2Kill->Thanks for your service.

Pretty boy (w/jake fan) and nesting hen. Cheap and effective. 3 birds down over this set up this year that I have been a part of.

Longtail, I posted earlier about not using a decoy, have you tried this. I am a huge believer in calling. No matter what the game. I have seen what you are talking about and a lot of times if the bird does not see the hen he will look for her. That is nature at its finest. I am not trying to insult anyone here because we all do what it takes to get it done, just throwing out another input. I know we all think ya have to have the DSD decoys because they look so real, but thats for us not them. Remember how many birds ate it just using a cheap ol foam decoy.

I do believe decoys have there place and how you want the birds to react, like goose hunting I know guys who hunt with the best decoys money can buy and you know what they shoot? No more birds than a hunter who spends time in the field listening to geese and can blow the ass out of a call.

Turkey hunting is no different. Calling is my favorite thing about hunting the game I do. Because its a challenge to me, thats why I dont fish :rolleyes:. No one here has the answers, because its tuff sometimes. Thats what keeps me chasing these weird looking birds year after year. Hope you find the magic combo. Good luck in the weeks to come.

Last edited:
Longtail, I posted earlier about not using a decoy, have you tried this. I am a huge believer in calling. No matter what the game. I have seen what you are talking about and a lot of times if the bird does not see the hen he will look for her. That is nature at its finest. I am not trying to insult anyone here because we all do what it takes to get it done, just throwing out another input. I know we all think ya have to have the DSD decoys because they look so real, but thats for us not them. Remember how many birds ate it just using a cheap ol foam decoy.

I do believe decoys have there place and how you want the birds to react, like goose hunting I know guys who hunt with the best decoys money can buy and you know what they shoot? No more birds than a hunter who spends time in the field listening to geese and can blow the ass out of a call.

Turkey hunting is no different. Calling is my favorite thing about hunting the game I do. Because its a challenge to me, thats why I dont fish :rolleyes:. No one here has the answers, because its tuff sometimes. Thats what keeps me chasing these weird looking birds year after year. Hope you find the magic combo. Good luck in the weeks to come.

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!:way::way::way::way: And I say that as one who always try' to buy the best!! Or what the crowd deems the best!!! Congrats man! That was a great post!!! :drink2::drink2:

gansomn said:

Hell yes. That was a great post.

.....and even though you can't call fish, they can be just as humbling! :)

I have always been a big believer in calling in the woods. Let them come to you and look. Not really a need for decoys there a lot of times. Usually tight enough quarters you can get them in. Out in fields I rely on the decoys more. I don't think I could call a bird into my blind with no decoys out in the middle of a field a couple hundred yards from the timber edge. Never know I guess.

The good thing is turkeys are easy to kill no matter how you do it. Keep at it and have fun!!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
:D:D:D:D

DAMMIT! Turks are easy to kill!!! Crap! Now I am on lowlife street!! :thrwrck: Cooter!!!!!! Put it up for the boys!!!!!!!!! :D Damn if I don't love somebody knows all bout everything!!! Cooter 's got a video for ya!! :way::way:

Well I guess they seem easy to kill when you have a place with a good number of birds and they are hitting the fields. They do prove to be quite tough on ground that has a ton of pressure and not as many birds.

Heck my ole man has been hunting them since 80 and I think he has only killed 4 or 5 birds. He doesn't get into it that much but always goes. :)

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Well I guess they seem easy to kill when you have a place with a good number of birds and they are hitting the fields. They do prove to be quite tough on ground that has a ton of pressure and not as many birds.

Heck my ole man has been hunting them since 80 and I think he has only killed 4 or 5 birds. He doesn't get into it that much but always goes. :)

:D Sorry I came off a little gruff, thats why I deleted my post!! I guess I should start every post with I'm talking Bowhunting!!!!!:confused: After bowhunting turkeys for about 20 years and having pretty good results.......My opinon is! If you can't kill a turkey with a gun, your either in a high pressure area, or your a idiot!!!!!!!! My first 2 turkey seasons were with a gun and they were like a cartoon! Easy!! Yay!! I killed a turkey! Thats why I went to the bow! If your having problems hunting them with a gun........buy a blind, a decoy, act like your bowhunting! You will get a bird!!:drink2:

Top Bottom