Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drury's sit down with IADNR

These guys, I just can't take more than 60 seconds of listening to them. I get this feeling like nails on a chalkboard enduring anything with these guys or any of their videos. Why I choose not to buy any of their videos. Way too self-important and deer nerds for me. The last time I watched a video of theirs, a buddy had them on and it had all these highlights about them, some reality show they were kissed up to, they were driving some race cars and having some eye surgery, etc. I popped that youtube video on for about 60 seconds and X'd it off, I just can't take these guys. SORRY for my rant. Please folks, can't someone good, fun who is NOT a self-important, high & mighty deer-god, hunting nerd take over leading the video industry? To each his own, I don't want to infringe on your right to enjoy them BUT I know I can't stand more than 60 seconds of these guys and almost all the folks I know will never buy their videos. There's some good video's and guys out there BUT these guys drive me insane, little hard to put my finger on it BUT again, like nails on a chalkboard.

Sooooo then you don't like them?

I have no problem with them. They have passion for the sport and in my mind that can be nothing but a good thing

Just to add one more thing:

I encourage ANYONE who has been passionate about the topics posted on this website lately to watch this video. It touches on a NUMBER of them, and you may be surprised to hear some of the answers, so check it out.

Looks like one heck of a discussion to me, I like where the DNR stands on the issues. They all brought up some good points and IA has a very limited resource so the way they have it now is a good balance for residents/NR's.

I watched the videos and took notes over the first 3 parts so that those of you who dislike the commercialization of hunting by the Drury’s and others like them don’t have to watch the videos. Even if you don’t like the Drury’s you should watch the videos, they are not about the Drury’s at all and are very informational.

Part 1.
- Hunting is becoming too focused on hunting the biggest bucks out there. Too many hunting shows and magazines focus only on taking the largest bucks.
-Landowners are no longer allowing many people to hunt on their property.
-Iowa has a rich tradition of quality hunting due to the structure of the seasons. They are not held at the same time and are spread out due to the limited habitat of the state. Seasons are set up this way to allow hunters to share the land because there is not enough habitat to allow multiple seasons at the same time.
Part 2
-DNR tries to manage the herd to a sociological level.This means satisfy hunters wanting a high population of deer and farmers/landowners wanting a low level of deer due to financial hazards.
-Willie Suchy, deer biologist, says that we are around mid 90’s level in the deer population. He says in some areas of the state there are too few and other areas are still too high, but will probably always be high.
-Deer #’s are estimated through harvest totals, aerial surveys, spotlighting, public input, highway kills, and the bow hunter survey. Then there are about 20 management units throughout the state that the quotas are then put into.
-IDNR does compare with other Midwestern states once a year. They have a conference and discuss what works and what doesn’t and try to learn from each other. Iowa is helping with the southeastern corner of Minnesota to improve their herd.
-Depredation tags are issued to landowners with a lot of damage. Someone from the DNR is sent out to inspect the reported damage. Suchy says that about 50% of the reported damage is not actually caused by deer, but by raccoon.
Part 3
-This past season (2011) 10,000 less antlerless tags were sold, due to the fact that hunters were not seeing as many deer so they did not even want to buy the extra tags.
-The above ^ leads to a loss of revenue. However, the DNR stands firm placing resources ahead of revenue. They came into issuing the extra antlerless tags knowing that it would not last, they planned on ending them when the population goes down. The DNR funding has several trusts and federal money coming in and run off of other ways of income than the tags.
- (Next they got into a hot topic here on IW, NR tags) They said that the DNR will always put residents first. They also said that there really isn’t much space for too many NR’s, stating that Iowa is only 2% public land and that residents needs need to come first. They mentioned that the price of NR tags is expensive and that it goes against the North American model of anyone being able to hunt a little bit, but that is part of the way that Iowa protects its quality of hunting.
-NRLO’s do pay taxes on their property, but in 2005 the Reaffirmation Act passed by Congress made it so the that the state could manage landowners differently, hence NRLO’s still can’t buy an anysex tag every year. Yes, NRLO’s pay tax’s but none of those tax dollars go towards natural resources in the state, while residents money does.
-Suchy says that in a 2008 study that Iowa had about 5-8% of its hunters being NR’s, about the same as Illinois, Wisconsin, and Missouri. Iowa’s resources, where the main population of deer is very limited, except in the extreme northeast and southern parts.
-NRLO’s are allowed a tag every year, an antlerless tags.
-NRLO’s can buy an antlerless tag for shotgun and party hunt in Iowa and shoot a buck, every year. The rule is though that in order for the NRLO to shoot that buck it must be taken on their property and the property must be a minimum of 2 acres.

*This are just my notes of the first 3 parts, there are 8 total. These are really some great videos and highlight on nearly every subject that is discussed here on IW that seem to come up a lot. A lot of the issues that are fuzzy to mean are made clear here I think.
*Overall, I am very happy with our DNR and the way that they currently run things. The truly seem to put resources before revenue (maybe Brandstad should watch these) and residents before non-residents. Hunting in Iowa is a privilege and is an outstanding place to be, if you’re in the right areas. The DNR is doing a fine job to me.

Dnr

thanks for the recap sep0667, sounds like the IDNR is doing a great job.

Well, yes and no, did you hear the part about how the DNR guy said we tried to change the December gun season, in other words, move it into November (during the rut) What? However, they met too much resistance...geez,I would think that it is common knowledge as to why Iowa has the mature bucks it does---why on earth would you try to move the gun season into November.

I can attest (MN) that is a real bad idea!

Well, yes and no, did you hear the part about how the DNR guy said we tried to change the December gun season, in other words, move it into November (during the rut) What? However, they met too much resistance...geez,I would think that it is common knowledge as to why Iowa has the mature bucks it does---why on earth would you try to move the gun season into November.

I believe they tried doing this before the big buck craze.......not realizing what the season structure meant to the herd. "Every other" deer hunter walking around with his weenie in one hand and an antler in the other is a recent phenomenon. Years back, people were just happy to shoot "a" deer.

WHOA?!?!? I didn't watch the video- they are seriously discussing this?!?! Like this is a possibility OR they were just talking about some past thoughts??? If they do this, that would be the #1, most insane, worst possible thing we could ever do. And yes, Hardwood is 100% right, MN and many other states that do this ruin their hunting. No other bad decision would be in the universe of how foolish this would be. I hope there's NO possibility of this?!?!?!?

WHOA?!?!? I didn't watch the video- they are seriously discussing this?!?! Like this is a possibility OR they were just talking about some past thoughts??? If they do this, that would be the #1, most insane, worst possible thing we could ever do. And yes, Hardwood is 100% right, MN and many other states that do this ruin their hunting. No other bad decision would be in the universe of how foolish this would be. I hope there's NO possibility of this?!?!?!?

past thoughts Skip :way:

Just watched them all. No real new info for anyone who already has an interest in deer issues. The last segment was on NR quotas. Mark Gannon was of the opinion that since we export corn, beans, and everything else we raise, we should also be able to export our deer hunting. Wish he could see the difference. Corn, beans, cattle, hogs are all personal property. The deer are owned by everyone, at least that's the North American model of wildlife management that was referred to over and over again. I think they purposely skirted the issue of hunter access problems if the state is opened up. Oh well, it's been raining all morning anyway.

I think they purposely skirted the issue of hunter access problems if the state is opened up. Oh well, it's been raining all morning anyway.

I felt they touched on that issue some, and hopefully they go into more detail the next go round.

They talked a lot about the limited resources (deer and land) that IA has and why they keep the tag quotas the way they are....along with the amount of public land and landowners not letting just anyone hunt on them anymore...those all tie in with hunter access IMO.

I believe they tried doing this before the big buck craze.......not realizing what the season structure meant to the herd. "Every other" deer hunter walking around with his weenie in one hand and an antler in the other is a recent phenomenon. Years back, people were just happy to shoot "a" deer.
I believe you're right River! I think it was in the 1970's that the Nov. shotgun seasons was proposed, but of course never passed. I think they were looking for ways to sell more tags back then.

Top Bottom