EHD Kills

DMarley83

DMARLEY83
Just wondering if any one has found any sign of EHD in Iowa this year? As for me south central/ south east nothing as of yet..... Did smell some death on a farm this week but was not able to locate the Suspect.... Hoping coon.

I’ve been dreading this post all summer. Nothing in south central Iowa. I haven’t heard of a single case down here yet. I’m sure we will have a few random areas as it seems like a yearly thing now a days.

Fingers crossed we finish strong and get to a frost without any casualties. We are on year three since the epidemic down here that wiped out 50-60% of my bucks. One more good year and things could be back to more of the normal as far as deer numbers go.

Velvet shedding time seems to be the peak. Man I hope the deer catch a break! Eastern iowa has had some EHD deer. So far - nothing yet that I’ve noticed.

Found one today.

Just above a dry pond with a bit of mud....

Year and 1/2 maybe a 2 year old....

10 mi sw of indianola

CWD is the major problem???? This is one tiny example of a gazillion of what ehd does This is what happened around plenty of places in iowa 2 years ago 50, 75, even close to 100% losses on deer That re-occur every so many years (especially when New strain comes in) EHD & BT are about as new a problem as cwd (60’s or 70’s was start), EHD & BT here was in 50’s & peaked in last 20 years
IMHO- EHD & BT are the bigger threat big picture over CWD. Cwd shows resistance in some & someday a cure?? Maybe??? Ehd & BT are a virus & tons of strains- hopefully no new ones. & hopefully resistance is built. Both suck but seeing this as one tiny example of countless mass scale ones, sickens me.

9A9575DD-96B3-43D5-8FB0-AC3117F561D0.jpeg
9A098794-4802-44F9-AA5C-C86D8B34DC8D.jpeg

Buddy pulled a nice 4 year old out of his pond today. S of Des Moines 45 mins.
I do expect it every year. So far- ehd seems to be about normal as far as I’ve noticed. It will generally have some impact every year & many biologists have said that u do want to see it every year…. Keeps it in system so some resistance is built. Especially to the newer strains like we saw in 2019.

Back