Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Evening hunts.....

Iowaide

How many out there hunt in the evenings as well as the mornings? What tactics are you using if you do? I don't want to blow anything out of there for the next morning if I can help it. I thought I may try to expand my season a little bit this year and hopefully increase my odds that way.
Thanks
Sean

I've had good luck in the past hunting near the roost site, cuz they do come back most of the time in the areas I hunt. Killed quite a few birds at 6:00-6:30pm.

Just a novice here, but who cares about the morning if you kill your bird the night before? From what I've seen and read if you do hunt near a roost you wanna wait till its BLACK out before sneaking out.

Dean

When I hunt afternoons/evenings I tend to do one of two things. The first is to find a good ridge, with a lot of turkey sign and sit for awhile. I will call sparingly and see if I can get a response. If I hear gobbles off in the distance i'll move in on the bird, and sit down and again, call sparingly. I feel that afternoons/evenings are some of the best times to kill a tom, because he gets done breeding his hens and is out looking for more.

Another thing I like to do is to just go sit on a field edge where I have seen birds before. I'll sit tight and wait, and wait, and wait, while calling every once in awhile, and if your lucky you'll connect with a tom.

Regardless of which approach I take, I'll usually find out where they roost at that night and be able to sneak back in the morning!

hunting the evening is important!
if you know where the birds are and where they will be coming from set up with plans to cut them off before they get to their roost trees. you can get real close if you know where they roost, but many times close can be too close, especially if you kill a gobbler under his rooost tree. chances are good there will be other birds with him, and shooting might wreck that roost site. so id recommend setting up out side of the roost and hopeing to cut them off as they are on their way!

Good luck!

I have never been big on evening hunts just because Ilove hearing them "wake up" in the morning and all that goes with calling one in bright an early.

I have been noticing that they show up every evening like clockwork however so I'm going to have to start giving it a try.

Eveningturkeys.jpg

Hensaplenty.jpg

TwoToms.jpg

They do show up in the morning too! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

MarchToms.jpg

Top Bottom