Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Every year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to play devils avocate here and disagree with you. Doing a shotgun push is a different method of pursuing game. Sitting in a stand is a different method of pursuing game. If sitting in a stand, in one spot for hours on end is the elite method in your mind, then maybe you should take up spot and stalk with a recurve.

I'm not going to argue over what is better or not. I love to chase whitetails with archery equipment, but do to my job I have limited time. So I am left with late season. If I am in a stand with my bow and ML (which I will have a tag for both weapons), and a big buck walks in and I choose to shoot him with the ML at 40 yards, would I have been a better "hunter' if I would have let him walk another 10 yards and shot him with a bow?

As far as doing deer "pushes" or "drives", I have no problem with it at all. If done correctly, they are safe, fun, and very ethical. And if people choose to hunt that way, it is their choice and it is a legal mean of pursuing whitetail deer.

By the way, I have only hunted 2 shotgun season in 8 years of being in Iowa. I am going to hunt 2nd season this year so my father can hunt with us. It's more about time with him than anything, and If I choose to "push" a deer to him and him shoot it, I call that quality family time. We will also share a blind together in the evenings.

I totally agree with that Nanny. I feel the same way. Heck we sometimes do 2-3 man pushes with our bows. But we set up where they will end up and stop.

What is the hardest to deal with though, is the groups, that after pushing all week, have no more deer to push and play the "we have a cripple we are sending a guy in after", as they all set up and wait. Sometimes there is a cripple, alot of times not. And yeah they usually do get cripples to follow when they line up on your fence taking long shots at running deer.

It's BS when you try to leave a farm as a safe zone for deer during shotgun, only to have a group chaseing their cripples into it and pushing everything back out to the gauntlet.

The big difference in the groups, is the respectfull ones let you know they have a cripple to get,before or after, even though legally they dont have to. The others just use the, "it's perfectly legal" line or I dont have to tell you *****.

I totally agree with that Nanny. I feel the same way. Heck we sometimes do 2-3 man pushes with our bows. But we set up where they will end up and stop.

What is the hardest to deal with though, is the groups, that after pushing all week, have no more deer to push and play the "we have a cripple we are sending a guy in after", as they all set up and wait. Sometimes there is a cripple, alot of times not. And yeah they usually do get cripples to follow when they line up on your fence taking long shots at running deer.

It's BS when you try to leave a farm as a safe zone for deer during shotgun, only to have a group chaseing their cripples into it and pushing everything back out to the gauntlet.

The big difference in the groups, is the respectfull ones let you know they have a cripple to get,before or after, even though legally they dont have to. The others just use the, "it's perfectly legal" line or I dont have to tell you *****.
Been there and done that. At least the group that had a cripple this weekend said it would be fine to wait until after legal light to go in after it. He didn't want to push all the deer out of our sanctuary when there were 20 trucks circling the section so that was nice of them. I'm not completely dissing shotgun hunters because we shotgun hunt. Have a group of 6 that is all family and its more like still hunting with posters on one end than pushing. Its a great change of tactics after grinding it out in a tree stand during the rut. It's the bad apples that make everyone cringe.

jmoose said:
sounds just like Shelby, Crawford, and Carroll Counties where my dad farms!
I'm right there with ya nanny...i also enjoy shotgun season and have nothing against most guys that shotgun hunt or push deer. i just have a BIG problem with guys that blatantly disrespect property lines and hunting laws and unfortunately a much higher pecentage of shotgun hunters fit this category than those hunting other seasons.

I'm from Crawford county and shotgun hunt, we do the traditional deer drive every year... Our group has been doing this for years... We can cry about this topic for as long as you want, there are just as many "bad" bow hunters out there as there are "bad" shotgun hunters..."oh my god, two idiots were running with there bows and knocked arrows and ran into eachother... "Bow hunters are idiots." How many posts have we had on here about people trespassing during bow season??? My goodness cry to your mommy and daddy... Isn't there something more important to whine about? Have you seen the number of timbers being pushed to the ground?? And you clowns are worried about a shotgun hunter two counties away? Do you guys have nothing better to do than circle your section like a hawk?

I'm from Crawford county and shotgun hunt, we do the traditional deer drive every year... Our group has been doing this for years... We can cry about this topic for as long as you want, there are just as many "bad" bow hunters out there as there are "bad" shotgun hunters..."oh my god, two idiots were running with there bows and knocked arrows and ran into eachother... "Bow hunters are idiots." How many posts have we had on here about people trespassing during bow season??? My goodness cry to your mommy and daddy... Isn't there something more important to whine about? Have you seen the number of timbers being pushed to the ground?? And you clowns are worried about a shotgun hunter two counties away? Do you guys have nothing better to do than circle your section like a hawk?

You're an idiot!

Oh boy, where to start :thrwrck:

There is nothing more important to whine about than some dirtballs poaching deer off my farm, not 2 counties away. So yes, I will be circleing like a hawk.

And yes, there is alot of timber getting pushed in, meaning mine even looks better to the same guys, that are pushing their timber in, but cant find enough deer to shoot.

Bowhntr, you should probably stay out of this before you get banned again:moon:

Would not a problem to get banned (I've done nothing wrong here, sticking up for the "orange army") ... It's the same old threads every time I long on... Are there not trespassers during bow season?? Guess what... You have two more weeks of it and in another year, we will get to read it again..."you'll never guess it....." "Trespassers..." (We're not all trespassers) "the orange army..." "Hillbillies..." Blah blah blah

BowHnter said:
Would not a problem to get banned (I've done nothing wrong here, sticking up for the "orange army") ... It's the same old threads every time I long on... Are there not trespassers during bow season?? Guess what... You have two more weeks of it and in another year, we will get to read it again..."you'll never guess it....." "Trespassers..." (We're not all trespassers) "the orange army..." "Hillbillies..." Blah blah blah

Failed to mention "dirtballs..."

Oh boy, where to start :thrwrck:

There is nothing more important to whine about than some dirtballs poaching deer off my farm, not 2 counties away. So yes, I will be circleing like a hawk.

And yes, there is alot of timber getting pushed in, meaning mine even looks better to the same guys, that are pushing their timber in, but cant find enough deer to shoot.

Bowhntr, you should probably stay out of this before you get banned again:moon:

:) well said!

I feel like you are misunderstanding 6x6, and if you read as well as you write I can see why. He's not saying all shotgun hunters are like that, but there are some people who do that.
When someone says "trespassers" they don't include all hunters, just the ones trespassing. Not sure why you're getting so bent out of shape for a guy complaining about trespassers, all ethical hunters should be annoyed by trespassers.

I decided many years ago to give up a food plot that year (add seed, herbicide, fertilizer, etc- expensive!) and rather spend the $ on 25 trail cameras to "protect" my property & some land I had permission on where it was a defined list of who was allowed there. All in different types of spots, entrances, sneaky locations, etc (most of which, you'd never see). It was the best "peace of mind" I've had when it came to trespassing & poaching.....

When did I have the vast vast amount of trespassing and/or poaching cases???? Of course, shotgun. Did I have a case during bow season? Yes sir. 10 to 1 though. Yes, I'm saying 10 cases of folks carrying guns in pics VS bow. I am not here to lay a blanket statement, I'm just using my own logic, evidence & experience. I'm not saying shotgun hunting is wrong. (and yes, most of this was on PERMISSION farms where my buddy said he'd "had it" with problems, thefts, poaching & trespassing).

I think we really can use common sense here. Isn't this similar to the ANALOGY of the TSA Terrorist screening argument we heard a couple year's ago.... Where we knew it would LIKELY be younger MALE Middle-eastern types VS 80 year old female Grandmas - trying to do any type of terrorism or bomb plans? Same situation Police deal with each day- "I can use common sense on who is a criminal OR I can swallow this PC crap!". And of course, in ANY of these scenarios- a lot of good, innocent, law abiding folks BUT common sense tells us where the VAST MAJORITY of the problems come from. I'm saying this as I'm going to be sitting out with my slug gun this weekend and as a landowner that deals with poaching, trespassing, etc every year.

Last edited:
I decided many years ago to give up a food plot that year (add seed, herbicide, fertilizer, etc- expensive!) and rather spend the $ on 25 trail cameras to "protect" my property & some land I had permission on where it was a defined list of who was allowed there. All in different types of spots, entrances, sneaky locations, etc (most of which, you'd never see). It was the best "peace of mind" I've had when it came to trespassing & poaching.....

When did I have the vast vast amount of trespassing and/or poaching cases???? Of course, shotgun. Did I have a case during bow season? Yes sir. 10 to 1 though. Yes, I'm saying 10 cases of folks carrying guns in pics VS bow. I am not here to lay a blanket statement, I'm just using my own logic, evidence & experience. I'm not saying shotgun hunting is wrong. (and yes, most of this was on PERMISSION farms where my buddy said he'd "had it" with problems, thefts, poaching & trespassing).

I think we really can use common sense here. Isn't this similar to the ANALOGY of the TSA Terrorist screening argument we heard a couple year's ago.... Where we knew it would LIKELY be younger MALE Middle-eastern types VS 80 year old female Grandmas - trying to do any type of terrorism or bomb plans? Same situation Police deal with each day- "I can use common sense on who is a criminal OR I can swallow this PC crap!". And of course, in ANY of these scenarios- a lot of good, innocent, law abiding folks BUT common sense tells us where the VAST MAJORITY of the problems come from. I'm saying this as I'm going to be sitting out with my slug gun this weekend and as a landowner that deals with poaching, trespassing, etc every year.

Also well said...point made!

bigbuckhunter88 said:
I feel like you are misunderstanding 6x6, and if you read as well as you write I can see why. He's not saying all shotgun hunters are like that, but there are some people who do that.
When someone says "trespassers" they don't include all hunters, just the ones trespassing. Not sure why you're getting so bent out of shape for a guy complaining about trespassers, all ethical hunters should be annoyed by trespassers.

Oh slam..."if you read as well as you write" correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe, you forgot a few commas. If that is what this is going to boil down too...yeah trespassers suck...but hurry home to log on to Iowa whitetails doesn't get you far... Of course there's going to be more trespassers during shotgun Season... There are more shotgun hunters... Can we not find a better topic to whine about??

What makes me a "serious bowhunter" calling a stranger, who assumingly ive never met, on a public forum, names? No thanks I'd rather be a sub-serious bowhunter. No matter what weapon someone uses, theres gonna be people who breaks the law or do "unethical" things. Whether it be shooting from a truck, or hawking private property. I just didnt think it was worth calling people names! Grow up. BTW I DONT shotgun hunt, not because I think it is "not hunting", but because I hunt mostly only public and to me theres more of a chance for gun related accidents.

What makes me a "serious bowhunter" calling a stranger, who assumingly ive never met, on a public forum, names? No thanks I'd rather be a sub-serious bowhunter. No matter what weapon someone uses, theres gonna be people who breaks the law or do "unethical" things. Whether it be shooting from a truck, or hawking private property. I just didnt think it was worth calling people names! Grow up. BTW I DONT shotgun hunt, not because I think it is "not hunting", but because I hunt mostly only public and to me theres more of a chance for gun related accidents.

If you will notice ...there was name calling before me. I was simply duplicating what he had said. That gentleman had called bowhunters idiots. So I guess he was talking to both of us. :)

Man! I love this thread!!!!!! It's got it all!! :way: To the dude that got banned on here!!!!!! :way: Ya got your opinon! God bless Ya!! Me Too! That would be why I wont pay for PMA due's any longer! Ya ban me...I won't send ya money!!! But to the topic! All gunhunters are idiots? All bowhunters are idiots! :D I have never had 4 bowhunters hunched down by my mailbox waiting for drivers to push them something to shoot!!!! About 80 yrds from my house!! Whens the last time a bowhunter shot his own foot?????!!! :D:D Save this post for next year!!!! :drink2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom