Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

food plot?

killer buck

This fall the telephone company came through and cleard some timber underneath the telephone wires. I was thinking of planting a food plot underneath it. I was going plant rape or rye. but I really dont know Im a beginner at planting food plots, last year I planted my first food plot didnt do to well. So Ive been pretty much teaching myself along the way.dbltree gave some advice to fix it up this year. what do you guys think the best stuff to plant in it, and do you think I should frost seed it, and when should I apply lime? thanks

I would go with clover or alfalfa. IMO they are the best all year around food plot. If that was the only thing I could plant that would be it.

Give us a little more information on what you capabilities are?

Do you have a tractor or ATV with tillage equipment?

Right now is the time to take soil tests and get lime on for sure.

All kinds of options but I'd like to know if you can fully till it up and prepare a seedbed or if you need to plant it "in the rough"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

yah last year I got a tractor and a disc on my other food plot, and the ph was 6.3 my other food plot is about 200 yards away. Thats the tricky thing with this food plot its at a bottom of a hill. so Im going to try to get a tractor and a disc down there to till it up, at least I can get an atv and a harrow down there that tills up the soil pretty well. Theres still snow on it to, so can I still put lime down

I would wait till the snow is off and it's froze up still, then get lime on it.

If it's got good moisture then brassicas would do well but if it's a little on the dry side then winter wheat, oats and peas might be btter.

If it's difficult to work up then you could include clover with the rye or frost seed it later. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killer buck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what do you guys think the best stuff to plant in it? thanks</div></div>

It's hard to say what is the best stuff to plant unless we know what you have. You always want to give the deer a variety to choose from if you are setting up a farm. They are like us and don't like the same stuff all the time. Also plant for the time of year you plan to hunt it. If it's strictly a bow plot then I think it's hard to beat rye, oats, and AWP. It's cheap and attracts all through bow season w/ variety. One of my favs especially in Oct.

Another idea is if you have crp somewhere I would mow, frost seed clover, and then mow when you can. We did that this year and the crp in areas looks like a food plot. It's an easy way of increasing the 10% of your crp for food plots and maximizing your options. Talk to your NRCS guy as well and he'll help you out there.

I only bow hunt it, rye sounds like it would be the best for my situation, its cheap and it attracts deer all throug bow season I like the idea of that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killer buck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only bow hunt it, rye sounds like it would be the best for my situation, its cheap and it attracts deer all throug bow season I like the idea of that </div></div>

I don't think you'll be dissapointed with that option... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom