Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plots 101

hayseed

OK guys, rookie here. Just bought a tractor, 32 hp. Food plots in the future but here is where I'm starting. Ground has not been broken or planted for 20 years +. At this point, I will be borrowing implements but have access to a bush hog, single bottom plow and disk. I will probalbly have to hand sew or broadcast any seed. Am looking to establish clover, some brassicus and late soybeans with maybe oats or something else you may recommend . Plots will be spaced out, some in overgrown pastures, some on right of ways. Total crops will probably be 5-10 acres total. Heavy, (too heavy) deer population, so I know I need something browse tolerant.
Start me from the very beginning and talk me through this. It impossible to get a lime truck or fertilizer to these spots so I'll have to try to do that with the limited equipment I can get. I will be be spraying to kill and start anew. Just want to know when to do that also; before or after the cut.
Try to keep it simple so as not to lose me. If you need more info let me know. Thanks for any help.

Ok...here goes...

The clover and brassicas you can plant very late summer, mid Aug. to mid Sept.
so for them you should
1) Mow
2) Spray with Roundup after it starts to greenup
3) The last of July/ first of August
a) Plow
b) disc
c) Apply fert and lime with a tractor mounted spreader...you may be able to rent or borrow one
d) Roll with a lawn roller or small cultipacker (just before planting)
e) Broadcast seed using a hand seeder
f) Re-roll the seed in. (or drag a log chain or heavy plank over it using an ATV even.)

For Roundup Ready soybeans...because it's getting late, you could mow, plow, disc, broadcast seed by hand, disc lightly to cover seed then spray Roundup after both weeds and beans are up. You would most likely spray again when the beans are 6-10" tall.
That ought to get you started. Search this site for more information and ideas.
Goodluck!
waytogo.gif

Thanks dbl, short and sweet. How long should I wait after spraying and then how long after fert and lime do I wait to plant?

Another option that you would have in planting your brassicas and clover would be to borrow a no-till prairie grass drill for the planting. Many Pheasants Forever chapters bought drills for their areas and loan them out at no cost or a reasonable cost for planting prairies. Most have a small seed box on them that works well for clover and brassicas. Your 32 hp tractors should work fine on them as long as you have hydraulics since most are either 6 or 8 feet and don't pull hard since you only want to disturb the topsoil very lightly so as not to plant your seed to deep. Using this method you would mow, spray with Roundup, fertilze as suggested by dbltree and then plant. After you mow wait until the grass get about 3-6 inches tall before spraying and use the upper end of rate on Roundup if you have perenial grasses. You can then lime and fertilize and plant anytime after 7 days of spraying. I like to plan it so I that allow plenty of time for the roundup to completely kill the weeds and grass so that you know you have a clean seed bed and can plant around the 15th of August. Since August can often be dry the dead grass mat left after spraying can hold in moisture and allow your seeding to come up better. You do not need to worry about any specific time between fertilizing, liming and planting. With no-till your lime will not get incorporated very much so plan on it taking some time before your soil ph reacts to the lime application.

No till drilling is a great option
waytogo.gif
I planted some clover last fall using a Truax no-till drill from the local county conservation board. I didn't feel that it was as good of a seeding as tilled summer seedings but it wasn't to shabby either. I would certainly consider it for anyone who doesn't have a lot of time and/or equipment.
I use it all the time for prairie grass seedings and of course almost everyone plants soybeans that way. I haven't tried no-tilling brassicas but I have heard it works very well.
The drill I use costs $50 hook up fee and I think $5 an acre to use. It might make a 32 hp "snort" a little
grin.gif

Here's an older version with a little more tractor (ok... a LOT more tractor) then I needed...but the cab was sure comfy!
cool.gif

TruaxDrill.jpg

I like to give Roundup 7-10 days to "work" before tilling and if one is going to till, then work the fertilizer and lime in at that time.

The no-till coulters on the new Truax drill will actually stir the soil a little bit so going that route I would put the fertilizer on ahead of it also.

By the way, I was also thinking of planting oats or winter wheat with the late beans. I'm sure not at the same time, but when would I want to do that?

You can brodcast rye on in early September, preferably just before a good rain. You can do it by hand with a bag broadcast seeder at 50-90# per acre.
Rye germinates pretty well on bare moist ground but wheat might not work as well.

Top Bottom