Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Forest Reserve Program

Scott

Anyone know how the forest reserve program works? I heard if you put ground into it you can get it out unlike the wetlands program. What does it take for ground to qualify? Does the entire farm go in or just the timbered acres? Does it just make the ground tax exempt or is there a payment associated with it? Been researching it on the internet but was wondering if anyone has dealt first hand with it.

Fred,
I don't think it takes much to qualify.........only needs to have a certain number of trees per acre......It does make the ground tax exempt, but there is no payment associated with it. Only the timbered ground can be enrolled, nothing tillable or bare. To the best of my knowledge, it can be taken out.............I think the enrollment period is in February if I'm not mistaken.

I went to my county offices and signed up. Someone was sent out to determine how much of my land was timbered. They do the calculation. However much is determined timbered,,is tax exempt. That is all.

It has to be at least 2 contigous acres in size and have at least 200 growing trees per acre. No buildings allowed, but you can exclude building sites from the reserve area. You can log the reserve area but may not remove more than 1/5 of the trees in any one year not counting dead trees. The other parameters as mentioned by others apply, no grazing, no leasing or other economic gain from the reserve area allowed.

Yep- what you all said. It's the biggest NO-BRAINER program for IA land owners with timber. Easy, take out any time and no reason to not do it- unless you can't (cows in there, want to lease it, etc). I had no inspection and have mine in.

I give well over 50% of my money (with fed, state, fica, sales tax, property tax, soc security) to Obama and/or government every year SO this is the only place I get any sort of relief from the crooks of government. :)

I've had my timber at my home in the program for years, living near DM, it probably has saved me more than a few $ in RE taxes.

How does the forest reserve program affect landowner tags? Say you own 40 acres and put it all in forest reserve can you get a landowner tag and hunt there?

How does the forest reserve program affect landowner tags? Say you own 40 acres and put it all in forest reserve can you get a landowner tag and hunt there?
Yes; of course you can get a landowners on the land you own. If they wouldn't allow you to get a landowners for forest reserve; most of the timber land in Iowa would be off limits.

"The other parameters as mentioned by others apply, no grazing, no leasing or other economic gain from the reserve area allowed. "

"Ecomonic gain"....that wouldn't include enrolling in and get paid for other programs such as TSI or Timber Stand Improvement would it?

"The other parameters as mentioned by others apply, no grazing, no leasing or other economic gain from the reserve area allowed. "

"Ecomonic gain"....that wouldn't include enrolling in and get paid for other programs such as TSI or Timber Stand Improvement would it?
To my knowledge; you can't enroll timber reserve acres in any other government programs. You can't even sell apples for a profit!

You can actually enroll timber reserve acres into TSI. I think this is because the TSI is actually paying you (or a contractor) for the labor it takes to remove trees and improve the timber. It is not a rental payment or a form of profit.

For Iowa landowners, this program is a great deal. Some states like WI require you to allow others to access your timber if it is enrolled in timber reserve.

When I enrolled my timber in the reserve program I had to pay the county $200 to enroll it. My dad has timber that runs into mine and when he enrolled his a few years back there was no fee. Anyone on here pay a fee? If I remember right it was a inspection fee or something of that sort.

Top Bottom